Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:54 AM   #11

Norm in Fujino wrote:
Quote:
What one must keep in mind is that Greg's exercise was not a comparison of "RAW versus jpeg" but a methodology to compare jpegs with the results he gets from his RAW converter of choice, namely , ACR. Every developer (human and software) is different, not to mention personal tastes in results, so it's unsafe to take Greg's results as the basis for a blanket judgment about the utility of shooting RAW.
Absolutely! As much as anything, this postis an admission on my part of not havingtaken full advantage of the RAW process, and how much I stillneed to learn. Shooting RAW+JPEG will give me a roadmap as to what is available if I choose to work with the RAW file, and in many cases I still will.It's been 2-3 years since I've not shot RAW only, but the E330 is showing me it can obviously handle certain files better with it's JPEG engine than I with the RAW files...not exactly something I liked admitting!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 1:12 PM   #12

Hi Greg, that is what I understood from your first post and I can see that with practice your RAW handling will only get better. Your framing and eye for detail is excellent.

I need time (and a faster computer)

I browse here at lot and read what you guys have to say and have enjoyed what I've read. Hope I can contribute a bit someday.

Hereis anotherother jpeg shot from the China trip.

Attached Images

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 2:04 PM   #13

thats the first time i ever saw a donut mountain scouse

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 2:55 PM   #14

That's Moon Hill in Yangshou. The hole is about 15 yards across.

This is the view from up there.

Greg, My appologies for "Threadjacking"
Attached Images

Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:45 PM   #15

Greg, I saw you photos on the review of the 50-200 lens and ex25 tube OUTSTANDING!!!! Is all I can say.

That's one piece of equipement I might just have to have this summer. Well done.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 7:46 PM   #16

Not at all! Nice shots. Looks like a photographers dream place to go.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 8:34 PM   #17

What are the jpeg settings?
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:23 PM   #18

I shot this last May. (That's why they're called Taurus Rhododendrons!) It was at standard HQ jpeg with the E500 on the kit 14-45 lens, camera "Macro" setting. As close as I could focus.

Came out better than I though it would but it's not really macro. I like your set up.
Attached Images

Old Feb 26, 2007, 11:42 PM   #19

pagerboy wrote:
Quote:
What are the jpeg settings?
For JPEG the only resolution I'll pick is SHQ

Sharpening +2

Vivid color setting (I'll be using the "normal" or even "Muted"setting for people shots. Vivid gives to much red in skin tones).

Saturation is set to 0

Contrast is set to zero

White Balance- If I am going to shoot JPEG, I'm staying off "Auto". For the most part I have used "Daylight"- this will be my new default setting, which also includes when I am using flash, but there are times when I've switched to Shade and Cloudy and obviously tungesten or flourescent indoors without flash. I've found so far a manual pre-set white balance does MUCH better than "Auto".

These twoare theCloudy setting:

Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:15 AM   #20

Quote:
"it's unsafe to take Greg's results as the basis for a blanket judgment about the utility of shooting RAW."
Not really; you could equally well say that your results depends on how good you are with PhotoShop.

The point is: RAW generates huge files, thus take up much more space and are much slower to process. Unless there are significant differences in the printed image (pixelpeeping is irrelevant), it is not worth dealing with RAW. However, you are right about white balance is far easier to correct in RAW; if you are shooting in mixed lighting, you would benefit from using RAW.

Note that the similarity in the results from shooting RAW and JPEG seems only to relate only to Olympus (and possibly other cameras), as I understand that for Canon users RAW is a must.

jorgen
http://jorgen.photoblog.com/

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote