Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 5, 2007, 12:14 AM   #1

What else do you want! Makes me glad I made the decision I did when I switched to Olympus two years ago...

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/new...70305edeve.cfm

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0703/07...lympuse410.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0703/07...lympuse510.asp

There goes my new computer money. The E510 will be mine (as soon as I can find a copy to buy). I have a feeling this is the year Olympus shuts all the crtics up...

As a complete sidebar to this, how much do ya think this rains on Panasonic's parade? What sounds better now, a body for $800 that stabilizes ALL your Zuiko's, or overpriced Panasonic "Leica" stabilizedlenses?

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2007, 2:21 AM   #2

SWD = silent wave drive?

I was hoping for something like that. Though it's the one thing I didn't see many rumours about. But for awhile now, the Sigma site has been listing their new HSM lenses as supporting it for four-thirds mount. I'm just wondering if it depends on the camera?

http://sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_chart.asp

The 30 f1.4, 150 f2.8, and 50-500 f4-6.3 are all listed HSM for FT mount.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 2:23 AM   #3

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
SWD = silent wave drive?
No, it's "supersonic"

Quote:
for awhile now, the Sigma site has been listing their new HSM lenses as supporting it for four-thirds mount. I'm just wondering if it depends on the camera?
No, they work on all bodies.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 2:41 AM   #4

"In addition, the interchangeable lenses announced today also incorporate advanced new features such as the revolutionary SWD (Supersonic Wave Drive) which makes possible the world's fastest-class auto focusing, the enhanced super telescopic zoom capability that is one of the biggest advantages of the Four Thirds System standard."

"When combined with the forthcoming E-1 successor model, these lenses will achieve the world's fastest-class autofocusing."

OK then "Supersonic". Like the Concord.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 7:45 AM   #5

Hi Greg

Thanks for posting the news. Not so sure on the E1+'s looks at all- it looks even uglier than the clay model they showed in September. I did like what I saw on the back - where you could see a full tilt/swivel articulated LCD display and from the prism hump you could tell that it looks as if it has a built in flash.

Lens wise - I like the sound of the 12-60 esp as its a pro (mid-grade) lens and I'm wondering if they've made the 50-200 smaller and thus lighter than the current version - in those pics it doesn;t look that much bigger than the 12-60. I'm sure both lenses should be pretty sharp indeed.

Lets see what Pana bring to the table.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:08 AM   #6

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg

Thanks for posting the news. Not so sure on the E1+'s looks at all- it looks even uglier than the clay model they showed in September. I did like what I saw on the back - where you could see a full tilt/swivel articulated LCD display and from the prism hump you could tell that it looks as if it has a built in flash.

Lens wise - I like the sound of the 12-60 esp as its a pro (mid-grade) lens and I'm wondering if they've made the 50-200 smaller and thus lighter than the current version - in those pics it doesn;t look that much bigger than the 12-60. I'm sure both lenses should be pretty sharp indeed.

Lets see what Pana bring to the table.

Cheers

HarjTT

I think the fact the vertical grip looks like it'll detach is getting many excited, but to be honest, it's a body that'll be outta my reach at this point, especially after I pick up the E510 to go with my E330. I'm already on the waiting list at Arlington Camera. Image stabilization is something I needat 200mm with the EC14 teleconverter attached to the 50-200.

Next thing to do is to get the E300 on eBay. No need for 4 bodies. I'm keeping the E-1 for now.

Without knowing anything about the design of the SWD motors, it's hard to really judge just by those images, but I bet the 50-200 is about the same size, and now, with body stbilization, it doesn't have to get bigger (and seemingly $500 more expensive)like what seems to happen withall the Canon lenses that aquire image stabilization. Just look at the 70-200 f4 and f2.8 prices without, and then with IS.

Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:50 AM   #7

looks like 510 is available body only Greg

US Pricing / Product Configurations
EVOLT E-510 Body Estimated Street Price: $799
EVOLT E-510 with 14-42mm f3.5/5.6 Zuiko Digital Zoom Lens Estimated Street Price: $899
EVOLT E-510 Two Lens Kit (Body, 14-42mm and 40-150mm Lenses) Estimated Street Price: $999

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/3886...ase-page2.html
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:51 AM   #8

I wonder how the E510 will handle image stabilization if one is to attach a lens with IS onto an E510 body. Maybe require that one or the other IS systems is turned off?
MOG_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:54 AM   #9

Yes, I called the sales person back and did verify she had me down for the body only!

Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 3:33 PM   #10

Does anyone know if the E1P has IS or not ? Looking at the back of the camera there is no IS button like the E510 or any kind of badge. No pics of the top of the camera so far so the IS button could be there but I doubt whether they would put it into a menu option.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote