Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 7, 2007, 1:23 AM   #1

http://www.olympus-esystem.com/dea/p...zuiko_lens_eng

I notice this hasn't gotten mention yet on this board. Was almost going to post it as a reply in another thread, then I decided we really should have a seperate new lens thread, with all that's been announced. Anyway, here's the schedule:

ED 70-300 f4.0-5.6 - Standard Grade
ED 12-60 f2.8-4.0 SWD - High Grade
ED 50-200 f2.8-3.5 SWD - High Grade
EC 20 - 2X Teleconverter - High Grade

ED 14-35 f2.0 SWD - Super High Grade
100mm Macro - High Grade
8-16mm (roughly...?)- Standard Grade

Also looks like the current 14-54 and 50-200 are still available, but the older 14-45 and 40-150 kit lenses are replaced by the new 14-42 f3.5-5.6 and 40-150 f4.0-5.6 kits--shown as currently available.

It was rumoured there would be a new cheap wide angle, but I guess they weren't ready to announce details yet. Good to see it's officially in the plans now though. And why 2008 for the 14-35 f2.0? I'm afraid the pro body could take until then as well if that's the case (not that I'm in the market) :-).

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2007, 3:11 AM   #2

anyone else think its Christmas ?

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 5:14 AM   #3

No, unless the 8-16mm was available NOW; it's long overdue as it's easy to get affordable tele lenses for the 4/3 (considering the 2x multiplication factor), but it's a lot harder to find a reasonably priced super-wide-angle 4/3 lens...and 12mm isn't enough for that!

They should ditch the development of the 12-60mm, and concentrate on the wider lens...the 12-60mm is too close to the 14-45mm and 14-54mm lenses!
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:17 AM   #4

Quote:
I think got everything on my list except a fast 60mm prime. Though I'm now thinking maybe an SWD update of the 50mm f2.0 might do, if it would focus fast enough at longer distances (say 30 feet). Though I still think there ought to be a non-macro prime in that length somewhere.

And I might rather a better 8MP than 10MP.

And, they probably ought to eventually add a high grade body above these (but below the promised E-P1) with the weather sealing and maybe a tilt LCD, and maybe even a pentaprism viewfinder. I think they could even call it the E-3xx succesor (though maybe including a pentaprism wouldn't really fit with that).

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:36 AM   #5

you mean like this
the bottom is removable

Riley
Attached Images

Old Mar 7, 2007, 12:29 PM   #6

Hey, Harjtt,

Have you seen that 14-150 Leica lens with image stabilization AND anHSM motor! You know it won't be cheap, but maybe it's the perfect "kit" lens for the new E410 (if you can see the camera from the lens when mounted):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=22345973
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 12:40 PM   #7

are there any reviews on any of these cameras concerning increased viewfinder size, or is it assumed that it won't be necessary with the liveview???????
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 12:49 PM   #8

-=edge=- wrote:
Quote:
are there any reviews on any of these cameras concerning increased viewfinder size, or is it assumed that it won't be necessary with the liveview???????
http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/3886...and-e-510.html

this is about the best we have for now
they are saying its slightly bigger
but brighter

Riley
Old Mar 7, 2007, 12:58 PM   #9

Rriley wrote:
Quote:

Riley
I'm wondering how many of these new toys will be released before Christmas. That 14-35 f2 has been in the plans for what seems FOREVER and when I saw it in the press release I thought FINALLY! Bad news, its2008 on the roadmap.

It looks like Olympus has introduced some fantastic entry level bodies. I'm impressed with the pricing, especially the E510 considering what it offers. The lenses they actually released have been in existance in other markets as kit lenses for the E400. Everything else is sometime later and later isn't too specific.

I love the 4/3 system and because of that, I love Olympus, but I hope they can get rubber on the road and stop spinning the wheels. Let's go Olympus! WE NEED TOYS!!!!
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 1:14 PM   #10

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
And why 2008 for the 14-35 f2.0? I'm afraid the pro body could take until then as well if that's the case (not that I'm in the market) :-).

If your expecting that to be some kit lens for the pro body, I doubt it. It may well sell for more than the E-x plus kit lens when it is introduced. I'd guess the 12-60 as a kit lens.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote