Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 7, 2007, 3:37 PM   #1

Panaleica's first sample image from the Leica D 25mm 1.4

http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/l...s/P1030189.JPG

From the exif - ISO 100, f1.4 @ 1/800s

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
Attached Images

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:44 PM   #2

With Olympus having one new model, the E410, without image stabilization, I would think these new Leica lenses with mego OIS, in addition to this beauty,would be perfect matches for it. One thing that will be interesting to see is if Olympus has allowed for the necessary electronic information to be provided, letting users use the aperture ring with their newmodels. As you may or may not know, the aperture rings on these Leica lensesare non-useable on the E-1, E300, E330 and E500 cameras. You have to adjust apertures as you do now with Zuiko lenses.

Now, I need to download this image and study it more closely....
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Now, I need to download this image and study it more closely....
Hmm, I thought for portraiture, you were supposed to lock focus on the eyes....:shock:
kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 7:09 PM   #4

Seriously, that's at f1.4 from no more than a metre and a half. Depth of field there is under 6 inches.
kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:36 PM   #5
Administrator

It looks like the shoulder was targeted, since I see more of the scene in focus in front of the subject, probably to try and exaggerate the shalloweness of the DOF you have with a 25mm lnes with the same angle of view you'd have using a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera. It may have been designed to show more sharpness in the subject, though.

The lack of CA is impressive. I don' t see a lot (other than a tiny bit in the out of focus highlights in the right top).. I'm not that impressed with the bokeh, though. I can't can't count aperture blades or anything. It's just not very pleasing to the eyes in that particular scene. Ditto for the colors, etc. The conditions just don't do justice to the lens/camera combo.

IOW, they should have picked a better scene for the photo. That's typical of manufacturer provided samples (not a heck of a lot of thought seems to go into what should be considered very important to shoppers of premium lenses), unless I'm just missing the point of the image selected (which is quite possible). lol

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:27 PM   #6

kenbalbari wrote:

Hmm, I thought for portraiture, you were supposed to lock focus on the eyes....:shock:

Eyes....oh yes....right....
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 9:39 PM   #7

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I'm not that impressed with the bokeh, though. I can't can't count aperture blades or anything. It's just not very pleasing to the eyes in that particular scene.
those were my exact same thoughts upon seeing this photo.
davephoto is offline   Reply With Quote