Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 9, 2007, 4:26 AM   #11

Thanks for all the input advice it is much appreciated.

I think the E500 is the one now. I presume it would be ok to use at a wedding (my sister is getting married in december!!) only for taking candid shots etc!! WOuld an external flash be a useful addition for that aswell as indoor shooting?

miked2372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 4:40 AM   #12

yes flash is very useful for that
actually specificly bounce flash
compatible with E-500 are the FL-36 and FL-50 flashes

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 8:33 AM   #13

Thanks again for all the responses.

Riley, would the kit lenses and an fl36be ok for the wedding or would I be better off using one? I don't want to be laden down with stuff as I am an usher and we will have our young son with us also!!
Old Mar 10, 2007, 8:56 AM   #14

miked2372 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks again for all the responses.

Riley, would the kit lenses and an fl36be ok for the wedding or would I be better off using one? I don't want to be laden down with stuff as I am an usher and we will have our young son with us also!!
did you mean,
you would be better off NOT using one ?

from what i know, sometimes they wont let you use flash in a chapel
often too, bounce flash wont work on the darker ceilings found there
high iso here 400-800, keep shutter speed to a useful margin
use the 1/over the lens 35mm equivelent, ie 14mm lens = 28mm EFL 1/28th sec minimum

its a complex problem that requires pracise to get a good exposure
the dress is white, and the suits black
you dont want to overexpose the whites, or underexpose the blacks

the reception is different
and shooting is free-er and faster and more fun
bounce flash is the go here if the ceilings are white and low

important moments

the chapel

the ring thing
the signing
the group shot outside
bride and goom together
bride and bridesmaids
groom and groomsmen
the bridesmaids
the groomsmen

the reception

shots of the various important parties standing and at their tables
the bride and groom dance
various photos to bribe the guests with when they are too drunk later

reccy the venues if you know where they are
and make shooting decisions based on that

dont forget
charged batteries, more than 1
flash batteries too
formated cards of good capacity

most of all, have fun and dont leave the camera in the taxi-cab

Riley

Old Mar 10, 2007, 2:59 PM   #15

Sorry, didn't make myself clear enough! What I meant was would I be better off using just one of the kit lenses or should I take both??

I doubt I will take any of the ceremony as I would leave that to the pro, but outside maybe and reception definitiely!!

My Dad has a C8080 which I believetakes the same battery/cards etc so I may say to him to just take my camera but his batteries/memory cards aswell as mine (he has 2 batteries and numerous cards) and let him use my camera also!!
Old Mar 10, 2007, 3:07 PM   #16

if you need to travel light
i would leave the long lens out of it

Riley
Old Mar 10, 2007, 3:58 PM   #17

The 40-150 makes a nice lens at 150mm and closer distances because of a shallower depth of field. Hard to get that from the 14-45. I'd say both.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 7:27 AM   #18

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Teh guys are all correct but Mike's made a cruical point can you live without IS/Live View/ fast AF and potentially a larger and brighter VF ? if the answer is no then I'd wait a wee bit for the E510 to show but I have to agree the price with both lenses is excellent.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
I read somewhere online (I can't remember where) that initial experience with the E-410 is that the quality at high ISOs is much improved - presumably a combination of the sensor and better processing algorithms. Assuming this carries over to the E-510, that would be a strong reason to get the 510 body, at least for some of us.

Ted K.

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 7:52 AM   #19

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
I read somewhere online (I can't remember where) that initial experience with the E-410 is that the quality at high ISOs is much improved - presumably a combination of the sensor and better processing algorithms. Assuming this carries over to the E-510, that would be a strong reason to get the 510 body, at least for some of us.

Ted K.

I remembered where I saw that - it is in the "More E-410 reviews and samples" thread here.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 11:52 AM   #20

Hello all, new member to the forums here!

The E500 with both lenses just went on sale here in Canada for $599 and I've been itching to get a digital SLR for some time now. I understand that this is a good buy if I'm willing to live without the stability function and faster AF (I'm assuming that's Auto focus).

I've been using a Fuji FinePix a345 for compact quick and dirty digital photos and a Minolta Maxxum 4000si for more serious vacation and scenic photos. I understand that the 40-150 lens will be equivilant to my Tamron 300mm lens. With this E500 only having ISO 100-400, will I still have problems taking photos in dark settings? I take photos at local shows and concerts with the a345 because it's compact and because I've never been able to master my film SLR in those types of lighting situations.

Sorry, I'm rambling here...I just want my first dSLR to serve me well and wondering if this is a good camera to choose. Until now, I was considering the Sony A100 so that I could continue to use the Tamron lenses I currently have for the Minolta but I'm starting to lean towards the E500, if only for the price only.

help a newbie out!
cristovao12 is offline   Reply With Quote