Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 8, 2007, 8:14 AM   #1

Have been interested in getting an E500 twin lens kit for a while now. It will be my first SLR and I was wondering if it is still a godd buy after the announcement of all the new models. I have seen it for roughly £388 which is much the same as I would be paying for others with a single lens!!
miked2372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2007, 9:48 AM   #2

As someone who, up to now, has always (seemingly) stayed one generation behind, I would think this might be one of the best times to get an E500. I just picked up an E330 myself about 3 weeks ago. The one thing to watch is over the next couple of months the E500 (and E330) will probably start disappearing as many jump on lower prices combined with I bet neither are being made at this point anymore.

I have finally broken my cycle and pre-ordered the E510 because I want/need image stabilization with my 50-200+1.4 teleconverter, but as you can see I already have the lenses so can afford to just get the body only. Makes a difference, but the two kit lens combination is only $200 or so more than the body only.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:47 AM   #3

the addition of the 40-150 is good
as kit lenses go it really isnt a bad lens at all
its worth US$230 on its own .. if that helps

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 12:24 PM   #4

The question is, do you want the features of the E-510, esp image stabilization?
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 12:57 PM   #5

Teh guys are all correct but Mike's made a cruical point can you live without IS/Live View/ fast AF and potentially a larger and brighter VF ? if the answer is no then I'd wait a wee bit for the E510 to show but I have to agree the price with both lenses is excellent.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 2:06 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies.

I'm pretty sure I can live without live view but IS and faster AF are always nice to have

Problem is my budget, I really want to get the best deal for my money all round and I think the E500 is it. It will be just for general family/vacation use at first and then I will see where I want to go further on from there. The other option I was considering was the Nikon D40 but I would not get 2 lenses and I one thing I would like is extra reach!!

I wonder if the E400 would come down in proce significantly here in the UK soon:?
Old Mar 8, 2007, 2:13 PM   #7

just be aware that D40 requires AF-S lenses
without them you dont have AF
and they are more expensive than average Nikon lenses
there are few Sigma or other third party lenses that work also

really, at 6Mp and 3 focus points for AF,
there is no advantage other that higher iso

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 2:56 PM   #8

Riley,

Could you advise me as to what situations I would user certain ISO's in or advise where ISO 400 would be used?

Sorry for thevery basic question as it is something I would be looking at learning with the camera!!
Old Mar 8, 2007, 3:18 PM   #9

miked2372 wrote:
Quote:
Riley,

Could you advise me as to what situations I would user certain ISO's in or advise where ISO 400 would be used?
This page should explain everything:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12...1/article.html
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2007, 4:18 PM   #10

Hi Mike

If price is an issue at the moment get the E500 - you'll get two good kit lenses which are better than any of the kit glass that you'll get with the D40. Upto ISO 400 there's hardly any difference between any of the DSLR's, you'll notice some at ISO800-1600. The 40-150 for what it is is a very good lens. Once you have the cam go out and about and take pics and post them here!

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote