Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 12, 2007, 6:00 PM   #1

A little note over at 4-3systems.com :

http://www.4-3system.com/modules/new...8#forumpost498

Quote:

According to Popular Photography:
The Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-150mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH./MEGA O.I.S. lens will be available in March 2007 for a retail price of $999.95.
Thats approx. £500-600 GBP which isn't bad at all for the lens. The release date of this month seems a bit off to me as they've only just announced it.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:59 PM   #2

That would be about $100 more than the Nikon 18-200 f3.5-5.6 DX VR, which covers an equivalent focal length for APS-C size sensors. And sellls like champaigne on New Year's Eve. Unfortunately, I suspet someone got both the price and the release date mixed up with the 25mm f1.4. I thought the 14-150 was due for the fall?

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 6:43 PM   #3

Hi ken

Just watched a PMA video over at Imaging resource for the Leica D lenses and the E1P(right down the bottom of the page):

http://www.imaging-resource.com/EVEN...S07VIDEO.HTML#

From what I could tell the 14-150 isn't that much bigger (lengthwise) than say the 14-54ZD or or Leica D 14-50. The lenses size looks ideal for a general purpose all in one wide/tele and according to the rep from Panaleica (where do they get these ppl from ??) it won;t appear until later in 2007. That would indicate that we'll be seeing the Leica D50-150 or the 45mm F2 macro possibly unvieled this Sept at Photokina. The Leica 25mm F1.4 is out now in the US with a mrp of a $1000USD, so I;d say about $750 on the street. Regards the new Zukios - pics that I saw at fourthirdsphoto.com (can't find the thread) - show that the new 50-200 is roughly the same size as the older lens, the 14-35 F2 is a seriously big bit of glass dwarfing the 14-54, and the new 12-60 looks to be slightly bigger than the 14-54ZD but with 72mm filter thread.

Side by Side of the Panaleica glass:

http://www.photographyblog.com/index...d_25mm_lenses/

Whats got me wondering is that PanaLeica have stated that they're not planning on intro'ing a pro level cam for some time. Could this be partly due to all of the current lenses apart from the 25mm f1.4/45mm F2 OIS macro on the lens map being just consumer/mid grade glass ??? Or will they just leave the pro glass for Oly ?

Regards the E1P from that video - its due 2007, sizewise looks a wee btit bigger than the E1 and as its still a design concept there could still well be some changes, although at this late stage I'd say those would be minor. I just dont; like that step they've put just inder the prism just looks unprofessional :G.

I'm going to e-mail and bug Oly and ask them to issue a firmware update to enable the aperture rings on Leica D's for the E cam's. If I get a 14-150 I want the ring to work too !

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

PS

Acoording to photgraphy blog the 25mm is £750 ! ouch.. I'll be slurging that possibly on the 14-150 or even saving it for the 35-100 (dreams)

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 12:39 AM   #4

yeah, kinda pricey little feckers arnt they

in the spirit of system wide co-operation
Oly really should add that to my way of thinking

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:35 AM   #5

My exact thought, Riley.

Hopefully, the performance will be comensurate with the price, although with any lens with the Leica name (Leica made or not), there's always a premium you have to justify to yourself. All indications are, from tests I've seen online and by many users,it is not with the equivalent Nikkor. Distortion levels reported at Photozone.deat the wide end on the 18-200Nikkor are three times that reported by PopPhoto of the 28mm (equivalent) end of the 28-504mmzoom fitted to the Olympus SP550.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 8:41 AM   #6

that Nikkor is a reasonable walkabout lens but
they say its tele end is quite soft
even the most anecdotal assessment would lead you to conclude that distortion would be an issue too

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 6:41 AM   #7

FWIW, when the PanasonicDMC-L1 dropped to $1200USD I decided to get it, just for the Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm /F2.8-3.5 lens. My initial experience is that it's sharpness is indeed as good as the Pop Photo Dec. 2006 test:

http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses...mm-f28-35.html

The lens speed is important to me because I do a certain amount of indoor action photography. I will say that the Leica looks really large when mounted on my Oly E-500 <grin>.

I did some comparison tests of the Leica on theE-500, at shutter speeds of 40, 60, 80 and 125 at the 50mmFL and with the MEGA OIS off versus on. The IS isdifficult to test objectively - camera shake from hand-holding the camera is not repeatable (it was probably more so when I was 20 years younger) and mounting it on a tripod defeats the purpose of the test. In general though, I subjectively see maybe a 2-stop improvement with the IS on which is consistent with the PopPhoto review.

I do really like the lens and even if I get the E-510 for the benefit of the in-bodyIS with the rest of my Oly lenses I expect to use the Leica a lot.

Now, if anyone is more willing to learn another, complexcamera menu system than I am, I'll happily part with the Panasonic DMC-L1 body, new and in the box <grin>. I originally thought it would be nice to have a spare 4/3 body, but I suspect the E-500 will do that for me after the E-510 hits the street.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote