Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 13, 2007, 4:57 AM   #1

came across this from dpreview

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=22431244

"They look nice and sharp, BUT all images are downsized to 2126x1535 pixels (~3MP) and devoid of EXIF data, so they don't really say much at all."

http://dpnow.com/3624.html

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2007, 7:14 AM   #2

nice upsun portrait
Attached Images

Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:18 AM   #3

Nicely done, excellent exposure and angle of light. I'd keep that one...!

A case of "Read before you post!!!"

I thought you were posting one of "Your" pics...:?

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 1:36 PM   #4

I'm really excited about the 510, the image stablizer has to be a plus for people like me.

So take note Steve...Let us know when you have the review done for it.

That is unless you get hold a"THE" new flagship E1 replacement first...
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 1:36 AM   #5

What's going on with those samples?

The first set of samples they had up there were gorgeous. The portraits in particular were fantastic.

Then they pulled them:

Quote:
If you downloaded the original set of images we made available on Monday, we can only apologise, as these turned out not to be the correct images. But we have a new download file of E-410 sample images for you and all is explained below.

OK, they say this was some kind of mistake. Yet the pictures clearly matched the shoot this journalist was actually on that morning, as he described:

Quote:
On Thursday morning, bright and early before the first day of the PMA show, here in Las Vegas, Olympus invited European journalists attending the show to witness sunrise in the desert outside the city. Yours truly was on the road at, wait for it, 4AM... the things we do! Although the new Olympus E-410 and the E-510 Four Thirds DSLRs aren't scheduled to ship for the best part of three months, some pre-production engineering samples were available to try during the early morning expedition into the desert.
Now they have a replacement file of three images taken instead in Las Vegas. And they're really not good. Badly blown highlights. Some unatural colors (greenish sky). EXIF data shows ISO 100, but they have that plasticy look with a bit of detail loss that some CMOS sensors get from noise reduction at higher ISO.

Not that I'm really worried. Even if they are the right pics, alot of this is processing issues, even if these are the right images. And they do say that the firmware isn't done yet and these were not actually processed by the camera:

Quote:
As we understand it, the RAW files from the cameras were transferred to a JPEG generation simulator and the supplied JPEG images are the result.
But I'm even sceptical that the first batch wasn't actually the real deal. Is it too soon for them to release good samples (still 2-3 months before they'd be available)? Did they forget to get releases from all of those journalists? Were the shots really taken with another camera?

The second batch almost looks deliberately bad. Almost like they're trying to lower expectations for now. I'd think the overexposures for example, could have easily been avoided. So why did they choose these three shots to release? Or did the prior mess up witth the desert pics leave them without the samples that had been promised, so they just grabbed three?

Or am I wrong or exagerating the difference in image quality (they really don't look that bad at full screen)?

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2007, 7:29 AM   #6

yeah how weird is that !
notice the EXIF was removed on both sets
either these people are complete tw*ts or
get ready for more dirty pool,

where money talks, stuff happens

Riley
Old Mar 24, 2007, 2:54 AM   #7

http://www.olympus-esystem.com/dea/p...s/e410/sample/

E410 samples now up on Olympus site. And these are looking good.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote