Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:20 PM   #1

hi everyone!! im new to this site, so be nice . ive purchased the e-500 about a month ago, and im really happy with the camera, but i have one problem. i went to romania, and shot a lot of pictures, and changed the lens quite a bit, and suddenly noticed that there was dust in the viewfinder, i tried cleaning that only piece of glass you can see when you take the lens off, but it seems to be behind that. what can i do?? this is bugging the heck out of me, and i cant live with it. i dont want to get rid of the camera, its great. help!
prlaserbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:57 PM   #2

also, here are a couple pictures i took with the camera.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...rboyx/hill.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...boyx/naomi.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...boyx/hill3.jpg
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:24 AM   #3

hey great pictures
I had the same problem with the same camera. take off your lens and clean the glass inside your camera thats facing up (turn the camera upside-down and look down towards the flash). that fixed it for me.
batrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:38 AM   #4

see, the problem for me is that the dust is on the other side of the piece of that glass, so i cant get to it.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 8:48 AM   #5

It may bother you, but has no effect on picture quality. The fix is disassembly, and it will happen again if dust has access to the interior of the camera. Most simply live with it.

It happens with all DSLRs.

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 5:39 PM   #6

Pretty interesting photos, what side of the country are they from?
miniion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 10:11 AM   #7

i was in romania when i took those. i know i have noise and issues, but im getting better with the camera. i like how you get grain with black and white with high iso. thats one of the many reasons itll be timeless
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:24 PM   #8

It's not difficult to remove the focus screen and clean it as well as the glass on the other side of it. Sounds like you must have some big particles inbetween the two screens. Hey, better that than on your sensor, thanks to the great Olympus anti-dust system.

If you want to know how disassemble the focus screen for cleaning, just look further down in this forum for the split focus screen thread (or search this forum for "Virtual Village"). I believe there are a couple of links there for how to install a new focus screen, so it will explain how to remove the OEM one, too.

-- Chris
Internetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 10:16 PM   #9

thank you, ill be looking through that very thruroughly. itll be interesting to do it on my own thanks again