Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 23, 2007, 7:12 AM   #1

Hi All,

Just taken delivery of my new E500 twin lens kit and am very happy Hope to post some pics soon as all I have taken so far are test pics!!

Can anyone advise me as to what they think are the essential accessories I should be getting to go with it? I already got a Sandisk Extreme III 1Gb CF and I thought about getting another 1GB CF aswell as a 2Gb XD to keep in the camera at all times as backup!!

I have a tripod on order and am looking at getting an fl-36 in the near future!!

Is there anything else you can think of that would be of use? Say something you did not think about initially but could not live without now?

Mike
miked2372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2007, 8:26 AM   #2

Congratulations on your purchase and good luck with it!!

As for what you should get for additional "stuff". I'm not quite sure since you didn't mention what your level of experience is but there are a lot of great "how to books' out there for getting the most out of your camera. I have a couple of books written by Scott Kelby that I find quite useful. Oneitemthat I've found I can't live without is is mini-pod. Something that I can stick in my kit bag or coat pocket. It's great for steadying the camera for low light shots or anytime you really want to get a razor sharp shot but don't want to drag around a full size tripod. Also, someplaces won't allow you to bring in a tripod but don't seem to have a problem with min-pods.

You may want to visit a couple of websites that are very helpful as well: www.wrotniak.net and pbase.com are great resources.

Lastly, just take a lot of picutres and have fun!!

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 9:29 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply

Experience is limited to P&S. I have like photography for a while but never took the plunge as far as kit is concerned until now!!

I plan on getting a couple of books to teach me the basics re aperture/ISO/exposure etc and read them and go from there.

My sister is getting married in December so I would like to get a decent knowledge before then so I can take some good photo's (she will have a pro on the day aswell!)

My main sobjects would be everyday stuff at the beginning (holidays/kids/days out etc) but I hope to get more involved in it as a hobby!

Hope that helps!!
Old Mar 23, 2007, 11:52 AM   #4

Hi,

A couple of websites that I forgot earlier but are worth reading as they give a different perspective on photography.

http://www.primejunta.net/pont/Ponti...ndscapes_Suck/

_Why_Most_Landscapes_Suck.html

http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 4:51 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies so far Zig

Are there any other E500 users that can give me some input? I'm looking for advice on the less obvious things I may require such as UV filters (for protection of the lenses?), lens cleaning stuff etc!

I am a complete newbie to SLR's and will be shooting day to day stuff aswell as vacations, days out and mainly my 2 year old son and the rest of the family!!
Old Mar 25, 2007, 12:29 PM   #6

Hi Mike

Welcome to the forum mate ! I think whats needed is a "new Oly User - guide sticky" with most of the core links to sites that can help you get started. I'll see what I can do and it'll be good to see a few shots too!

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 2:37 AM   #7

Cheers HarjTT,

Sounds like a good idea, it would certainly help people like me. I know of a couple of sites but it is good to hear input from experienced users.

I'll see what I can do re posting some pictures. Can I just copy them in or do they need to be hosted by a website and linked in? If they need to be hosted, any recommendations on the best site to use?

Mike
Old Mar 26, 2007, 2:36 PM   #8

Hi Mike

Regards posting pics - you can either upload them (max size 250K per image) and attach them to a thread or link them to a site such as pbase.com, flickr.com (which is free), smugmug or another site like deviantart.com

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:08 PM   #9

You'll of course need a case, but it's difficult to recommend which one as that's a very personal preference.

I recommend replacing the OEM strap. I was looking at LowePro and Tamrac originally, but even though I havea LowePro camera bag (LowePro Slingshot 200AW), I ended up with the Op/Tech Pro Loop strap. My reasons for choosing the strap include the weight relieve features of the neck pad and the way it converts from a neck/shoulder strap to a hand strap because one end of the strap has a male clip and the other end is female, so they clip together. It's a really nice setup, feels great on my neck for long periods of time, and stays on my shoulder like it was glued there. I also like the way the looped ends lay less stiff against the camera when using it. Night and day difference between this strap and the OEM one.

If you're planning on shooting in slightly inclimate weather, at the beach, etc., I would recommend getting a rain cover. The FotoSharp cover works nicely, and you can even use the flash through it. You can find those here:

http://abetterphotoguide.bizhosting....in_covers.html

I also recommend getting an extra camera battery. The E-500's battery last a long time (even when using the onboard flash), but it's always good to have an extra just in case. The camera is worthless with no power. I bought a no-namebrand cheapy one from eBay that definitely performs well enough to use as a backup to the OEM battery (honestly, they're performing equally well). However, most long-time Oly users recommend getting the Energizer one if you're not going to get a genuine Olympus battery.

For quick camera cleaning/maintenance, I have a microfiber cloth for wiping down everything (including the lenses, but only when needed), and then I also have a bulb brush for dusting the crevices and the lenses. For a lens cleaning solution, I only use my breath and the microfiber cloth. Any time I've ever used any kind of lens cleaning solution, swabs, wipes, etc., I've regretted it.

In addition to your tripod, you may eventually want a monopod. I have a cheapo Wal-Mart monopod that serves rather well and only set me back about $9.99. The current Wal-Mart monopod is a little smaller when collapsed, doesn't come with a case, and now costs $18, but that's still a good deal for a cheapo tripod.
Internetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote