Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:51 PM   #21

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
John, I'm impressed at you on the bike..... did it take a long time to learn?

You have some good advice here and from your shots today it seems you have taken that on board and made great improvements already. Keep shooting and reviewing what you have done so you learn by self critique, also keep asking questions and as I always say the three golden rules to photography are practise, practise, practise.
hi mark!

thanks for the coment on the bike,

well i have ridden dirt bikes most of my life,

but was never any good at wheelieing, although i tried,

well i worked on this bike for about 1yr trying to control

slow wheelies, about 5-15mph its alot of fun, and my

15 yr old has a 600 that he does very well! here is a picture of

him at our spot, remember i never do this on the highway,

only parking lots. way too dangerous!
Attached Images

airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 2:33 AM   #22
Super Moderator

That's really cool. After shooting more football you should have a go at photographing some bikes at speed using a slow shutter which will allow you to practise panning and also gives some great results with the background blurred.

Here is one I took last year at a shutter speed of about 1/60th.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:31 AM   #23

hi mark,

thats an awesome picture,next week

my 19 year old will be home from college,

so we are going to the dirt bike track,

so i will have some practise time! hahahahahaha

i'll post them up!
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:49 AM   #24
Super Moderator

John sounds like fun. When shooting motorsport I generally shoot in shutter priority as I want to slow the camera down a little to get the movement in the wheels or if I want to go more extreme and get the background moving will then drop it lower.

About 1/500th is a good starting point for wheel movement and for background blur then the shutter speed will depend on how fast the subject is moving and how far away it is but I would start at 1/250th and then play around dropping it lower to see what effects you get. Trial and error is a good way to learn and as you are digital then there is no cost apart from time if something does work. Also as you get better at panning you will find you can shoot lower shutter speeds to really blur the background out. This car was pushing up towards about 90mph at this point and I used a shutter speed of 1/160th which is why the background is so cool!!

Old Mar 27, 2007, 2:13 PM   #25

hi mark,

great picture, i also looked at your site, really great!

have you ever shot rally? i love wrc, but they haven't

been showing it much here. all they show is nascar!

i dislike nascar!

anyway, i will try different settings, and i will write it

down which i should have been doing all along. hahahaha

Old Mar 27, 2007, 4:21 PM   #26

airbrushjohn wrote:
Quote:
i will try different settings, and i will write it

Your camera writes it all down for you. I'd guess all photo editing sortware, many photo viewing software programs as well as on line photo hosting services have ability to access EXIF data that contains all the exposure details as well as camera/lens information. Your Olympus Master program that came with the camera has the ability to examine this information.

I recommend viewing your photos with a program with this feature to allow you to see what setting produces a result. It will make you a better photographer.

I use IDimager which has a quite full featured photo editor and the Lite version (which I use) is totally free. The web site is:

http://www.idimager.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:02 PM   #27

fldspringer wrote:
Quote:
airbrushjohn wrote:
Quote:
i will try different settings, and i will write it

Your camera writes it all down for you. I'd guess all photo editing sortware, many photo viewing software programs as well as on line photo hosting services have ability to access EXIF data that contains all the exposure details as well as camera/lens information. Your Olympus Master program that came with the camera has the ability to examine this information.

I recommend viewing your photos with a program with this feature to allow you to see what setting produces a result. It will make you a better photographer.

I use IDimager which has a quite full featured photo editor and the Lite version (which I use) is totally free. The web site is:

http://www.idimager.com/
i know i have a program that does that also,

but i meant i will write down the settings i want to use

so i don't forget while i am shooting. i'm old and i

forget easily! hahahahahaha that way i can see how they work out!

thank you!
Old Mar 27, 2007, 6:06 PM   #28

Oh, good.

I could just see trying to write info after every shot. If that's what you were saying, it would be cruel and unusual punishment if I didn't mention it.

Good luck with you pics.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 6:11 PM   #29
Super Moderator

John I'm glad you liked the site and nope as yet not shot any rally although I would like to.

Once you know the general settings then it is a good idea to write them down if you can't remember (however I'm sure you will remember after a while). I have the settings for general firework shooting written down as I don't do it often get to shoot them.

With trying to get motion blur it is trial and error at first to get the effect you want and when I'm shooting different parts of a course I have to use different shutter speeds depending on the speed of car, focal length and distance from me to the subject. Give it a bit of time and you will get some wonderful shots. If you have a look at the ones that Spy has posted today in the sports sections then the first shot is at 1/15th and looks amazing! TG is another good person to check out as he does motorsport and cycling with fantastic results. Both of them are cool and very helpful so will give good advice and something to aim for.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:50 AM   #30

Get some gear on ya squid!!! :-)

glad to see someone caught on the diff between your focus and metering
Riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote