Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:15 PM   #1

I just recently updated the firmware 1.2 on my Olympus E500 and now my Compact Flash card went from showing over 400 available slots for pictures to 64. I've tried 2 different Kingston cards 1024 MB each with the same result. I'm beyond frustrated.

Is there anyway to reset back to version 1.1?

Is there a reset button on the camera at all?

Thank you very much.
Combatvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:42 PM   #2

After installing the firmware upgrade the camera is automatically reset for the upgrade to take effect, and this sets the camera to the factory defaults.

What probably happened is your resolution setting has been changed from HQ, to SHQ (or some other resolution setting's been changed)...all you have to do is change it back to what you set it to before...no big deal.

This goes for any other settings you've changed too.

As for going back to 1.1, why would you want to?

And if you did a reset (available via setup menu 2), you'd be in the exact same spot as you are now, the factory defaults!
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:55 PM   #3

What would be the best setting for overall quality of photo's? While I don't need professional quality I'd like to have it as close as possible with my limited DSLR experience.

This was a monumentous splurge for me so I guess I need to invest in a class on how to use it.

Thanks for your initial post Mike, it helped.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 11:20 PM   #4

hey CV, did you get that Omnibounce?
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 11:32 PM   #5

Combatvet wrote:
Quote:
What would be the best setting for overall quality of photo's? While I don't need professional quality I'd like to have it as close as possible with my limited DSLR experience.

This was a monumentous splurge for me so I guess I need to invest in a class on how to use it.
Here's a good site to start with learning what the settings do:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/e500-using.html

and customizing the E-500:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/e500-sett.html

While you're at those pages there's lots more info that can be found by clicking the "Other Articles" link at the top of the page.

Most who shoot JPEG will use SHQ unless they need to cram more pictures onto the card.

When you get more advanced you can get into RAW. RAW is the RAW data from the CCD and you can manipulate it in the computer without losing data, changing things like white balance and decide whether you like the image with or without noise reduction...anything you do with a JPEG image will lose data, RAW will not. You can also change the exposure value if you made the image too bright or too dark.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 5:41 PM   #6

Sure did, thanks bud!

Thanks for the additional info on the E500.

-=edge=- wrote:
Quote:
hey CV, did you get that Omnibounce?