Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 28, 2007, 8:26 PM   #1

Well, so far I have to say, if it works as well on the E510 as it does on the SP550 digicam, we're in for quite a treat...

Here's a 28mm shot from the SP550:

OK, now, let's zoom to 504mm from the same location and put the bust on the main monument in the center. This is shot at ISO 64, 1/500 sec at f4.5..

OK, now...let's step it up a notch andmount the Olympus 1.7 tele conversion lens, making the effective focal length around 850mm or so, ISO 50, 1/400 sec at f4.5...

Now....let's stay at that same 850mm focal length. Go back to the original 28mm image. See that skyscraper in the backgroundin the leftcorner, with the derrick-looking structures on top? Again, at ISO 64, 1/400 sec at f4.5...

This my friends...is some insane stuff, and I'm having a lot of fun with it...

Greg

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2007, 1:29 AM   #2

Hi Greg,

These shots do look promising ... how do you think it'll be on the E-510 ?
I mean ... the sensor on E-510 is larger, will that be a hindrance or can
we expect it will be as good as it is for the smaller sensor ?

Did you also try some low light indoors shots with the SP550 ?

Cheers,
--
Gagan
gaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 5:26 AM   #3

Any shots at 1/60th or so?

stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 8:37 AM   #4

Hi Gaggu and stowaway,

I think I've seen where Olympus is claiming... what, a 3 stop or so advantage with their image stabilization? My guess would be it's safe to assume 2 stops, and if your hand holding skills are good, it could/mightbe better. Even with image stabilization, 500mm is a lot of magnificationand still requires a certain amount of care. I've been able to consistently get sharp images down to around 1/100-1/125 secor slightly less at 500mm, which would be around 2 stops for me at the longer focal lengths. at 500mm, and especially at850mm(!), I would think 1/60 sec might be stretching the limit, at least as far as getting consistently sharp images...you'd need to be awfully darned steady at those magnifications, even with image stabilization. If I needed to get a sharp image at 1/60 sec. and 500mm, a burst of maybe 3 shots would probably produce at least one sharp file consistently.In the "normal" range of, say, 28mm-100mm (35mm equivalent) I've been able to get very good results at very low shutter speeds of static subjects. Probably the best set ofexamples would be pictures I took at the Dallas Auto Show a couple of weeks ago:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/2608247#137585969

You can see the shutter speeds by clicking on the "info" box that pops up when you place your curser over the image. Shutter speeds in many instances were getting down to 1/10 sec. or less.

As far as whether it'll be better or worse due to the physical size of the sensor....I would bet it won't be worse or they wouldn't be putting it in the E510. They've held off using the technologyuntil now, andprobably fora goodreason....to get it right.

Old Mar 29, 2007, 10:51 AM   #5

hi greg,

those pictures are amazing.
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2007, 11:16 PM   #6

re E-510
Olympus are saying on their site
a 2-4 stop advantage
i think 4 would broadly be possible in the widest of margins
and 2 is pretty well a given for a baseleine

still to get the best out of it, i think setting a shooting limit at the bottom of the bucket at say 1/8 sec, with a aperture 4 stops beyond using a wide focal length would be quite successful.

the bottom speed can be assumed 1/4 1/8 1/15, it would be difficult to see going beyond 1/4 sec reliably, although i know it happens. But that gives you 2-4 stops of either aperture or focal length combinations to play with above that.

Realisticly, there are new and unused exposure options

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 8:48 AM   #7

Hi Greg

Looks as if Oly have got the IS working very well. I could never understand why some people (not at Steve's) could never see the benfits of having IS whether in lens or in cam - I sure did when i got my FZ10. Its good to have fast glass but even better when you can have IS with it as well and I wonder how well say the 50-200 or even the 35-100F2 will perform with IS.

Regards hand held shots, I agree with Riley, in that we should be able to get say consistently sharp and detailed shots at around 1/8s say with the 14-54 at the 54mm (108mm) range.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:26 AM   #8

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:

Regards hand held shots, I agree with Riley, in that we should be able to get say consistently sharp and detailed shots at around 1/8s say with the 14-54 at the 54mm (108mm) range.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
I would agree based on what I'm seeing with this little SP550.
The one thing I do get to see with this little camera that I won't when I have an E510 in my hands is the actual action of the stabilization at work in the optical finder since it's the sensor being stabilizaed behind the shutter, not the optics in front of the mirror. I never use the LCD to compose and shoot with either my E330 orthis SP550 and that won't change with the E510.

Strictly an asthetics thing, I know.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 3:00 PM   #9

stabilization SP550

Attached Images

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 3:33 PM   #10

27x optical zoom (finezoom), distance ~ 2 m
Attached Images

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote