Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:24 PM   #11

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
How's the battery life with the E500 and IS on ? Have you noticed much difference or none at all ?

Regards the 14-150 Leica D, its definetely an outdoor/good light lens although if its as good as the 14-50 it could well be the lens to have when on a walk about.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
Yourbattery life question occured to me also (with the IS on and the lens mounted on an Oly it's always on, for others reading this thread who may not know that). I haven't yet used it for a long enough time in one session to be able to tell. When I do I'll post my impression here.

I agree that the 14-150 could be a great walk-about lens in daylight if it is as good as the 14-50, and if the price doesn't initiate personal bankruptcy proceedings...

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007, 7:43 AM   #12

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Looking at the Panaleica lens roadmap
Hi, Harj

Where do you find that roadmap? I don't see it on the Panasonic or Leice web sites.

Ted
Old May 5, 2007, 8:16 AM   #13

Hi Ted

Here's the roadmap

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/pa...-4049-2-1.html.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 6:58 AM   #14

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ted

Here's the roadmap
Thanks, Harj

Itseems odd to methat most of those future lenses are planned to have the in-lens image stabilization. In-body IS would appear to make more sense for Panasonic, and presumably would also reduce the price of the lenses. With that roadmap the future Leica lenses will be more expensive for us Oly owners than they need to be, given that the future Olys will have the in-body IS (presumably including the E-1 replacement).

Ted
Old May 6, 2007, 4:56 PM   #15

Hi Ted

Regards Pana's IS - its always been a lens based design even with the super zooms and thats the approach that they and Leica have decided to go by. I think a lot of people including myself thought that when PanaLeica announced that they were to make a 4/3 cam that part of the trade off with Oly was that they could use the mount and other tech and in exchange PanaLeica would provide IS and sensors. As we now know thats not the case and Oly have their own in cam IS. Whats "strange" about the roadmap is that the two zoom's are effectively consumer grade glass _ can we say Leica glass is consumer grade :? :roll: ? Personally I would have thought the 50-150 should have been at least an f2.8-3.5 and if they could have pushed it a constant f2.8 :G. Don't get me wrong, the 14-50 and the new 25mm f1.4 are easily pro grade glass but I would have prefered a faster tele zoom esp as an alternative to the 50-200ZD. May be in 2008, when they intro a Pro cam that we'll see a fast super zoom lens.

What I would like from Oly is for them to enable the Leica D's aperture ring on all Oly bodies - Pana stated right at the beginning that it would be possible for Oly to do so by a firmware update and I really can;t understand why they have not. It can only benefit Oly.

Cheers

HarjTT

:?:O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 11:51 AM   #16

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Whats "strange" about the roadmap is that the two zoom's are effectively consumer grade glass _ can we say Leica glass is consumer grade :? :roll: ? Personally I would have thought the 50-150 should have been at least an f2.8-3.5 and if they could have pushed it a constant f2.8 :G. Don't get me wrong, the 14-50 and the new 25mm f1.4 are easily pro grade glass but I would have prefered a faster tele zoom esp as an alternative to the 50-200ZD. May be in 2008, when they intro a Pro cam that we'll see a fast super zoom lens.

What I would like from Oly is for them to enable the Leica D's aperture ring on all Oly bodies - Pana stated right at the beginning that it would be possible for Oly to do so by a firmware update and I really can;t understand why they have not. It can only benefit Oly.
Hi, Harj

Thanks for explaining Pana's in-lens IS philosophy - I'm not familiar with Pana digicams and didn't realize that's where their engineering experience exists. So it's similar in outcome to Oly - their experience is in the in-body dust reduction and they modified that to get the in-body IS.

A faster tele-zoom than the 50-200ZD would indeed be nice but would not be inexpensive - the ZD is already some $800USD and the 90-250f2.8 ZD is the price of a halfway-decent used automobile (although a bargain compared to the Hasselblad HD3 DSLR camera bodies ). It's difficult to avoid the r-squared law of computing glass area, which translates directly into cost (although not necessarily directly into price).

I hadn't thought about the Leica aperture ring being convenient since the majority of my photography is available light so I tend to use the shutter-priority mode. But I can see where the aperture ring would be more convenient when using manual exposure control.

Ted
Old May 8, 2007, 4:52 PM   #17

the dust buster is not the same technology as the IS
IS is a moving sensor
the SSWF is a moving film over the IRcutoff and AA Filter stack

Panasonic's experience with moving sensors goes back to around 1981
there was a patent on that device
they made the first OIS in video cameras, but IS is inherantly different
OIS is a moving lenticular part in the lens as i understand it

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 6:52 AM   #18

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
How's the battery life with the E500 and IS on ? Have you noticed much difference or none at all ?
Hi, Harj

I had the chance to spend a few hours shooting yesterday with the E-500 and the Leica lens. As far as I can tell, the IS being always on doesn't seem to affect the battery life. The camera times out after a certain amount of inactivity and I suspect (but don't know for certain) that this also timesout the IS on the lens.

Ted
Old Nov 14, 2009, 9:19 PM   #19

Don't forget the canon 28-300 IS. I had it's predecessor
the 35-350 without IS. It was the lens that I used most.

All reviews are saying that the 14-150 is a great lens. I want
to get one for my Pany G1 where the only drawback will be
slower focus response due to using the 4/3, micro 4/3 adapter.

Expensive? Yes but it would be one lens that I would keep on
most of the time and in a much smaller package than my 5D &
35-350......
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote