Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 4, 2007, 4:45 AM   #1

These are the first pics I have thought may be good enough to post since getting my E500. They are pics of my son in the garden on monday afternoon and they were taken with the 40-150 lens on my E500 and nothing has been done to them apart from re-sizing.

After comments and critique as to what I can do better and what else I should look to do. Some input I have already had has advised on the rule of thirds and cropping but all other input is welcome!!
miked2372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 4, 2007, 10:21 AM   #2

hi Mike
you did pretty well for first time out of the trap
the second photo has some really nice qualities

ok first things first
a longish lens is usually preferential to a wider lens, so you did good there
you should be at the same height as the subjects eyes
this applies whether its a bird a duck, your son or if you are like me, your dog
deviations from this can apply
ie, looking up at the subject makes say GW Bush look more powerful, same with a bear etc, looking down is the opposite, say to a bear cubor a koala. But its still better to be level if there is no implied statement.

Choose a location where you have some control
son running around the back yard isnt really that situation. A set up shot has a higher success rate, and thats what you might be looking for. So light from in front and to one side promotes a modeling of the face features. And most important, try to get some gleam in the eyes, you can see that in shot #2. Focus on the eyes is vital, above all else.

Likewise the background is important, with a tele lens it promotes the idea of an out of focus background, which relieves the subject from the background. Only the subject holds the viewers interest, there are few distractions. If you cant find a background, maybe you can make one. Portrait photogrpahers usually have painted linen backgrounds in greens and blues. Im sure if you look around you will see some of those.

Ok lets say you now have a shooting situation and an exposure vale that can work for you. The longish lens will probably perform best around 2 - 3 stops from wide open. You may need a speed suitable for handholding, use 1/focal length to calculate a minimum speed, or use aperture priority mode. Maybe even the portrait mode.

Set the boy up so he is comfortable, the shot #2 has some good qualities in this regard. Hes standing slightly sideways to the view which is more interesting, and you have intuitively framed him to one side. But hes looking to the centre of the frame, which is perfect composition.

All that frame needs is roughly equal amounts taken off each side, and a similar amount cropped from the top. Getting in close is easy with a tele lens, and the payoff is the expressions and textures of skin revealed in the detail of the image.

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 10:34 AM   #3

ok a quick shot at it in post processing
cropped, sharpened a tad, slight gleam in the eye
i went for a portrait frame
Attached Images

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 2:10 AM   #4

Riley,

Thankyou for the kind comments and the pointers as to what I should be looking at.

As a beginner, I am yet to learn fully about stops, ISO,aperture and shutter speedvaluesetc but I am currently reading the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson which seems to have been recommended on forums quite a bit so I hope that will help!! I also have to learn more about post processing as what you have changed to my picture does make quite a difference. I know how to make basic changes but not more detailed ones such as the glint in the eyes!!

As a 2 year old, he's not really one for sitting and posing and since I have received the new camera, he seems less interested but maybe that's because I have been badgering him to sit still and pose for me . I had just returned home from work and he was running around in the garden so I sneaked out with the camera and the 40-150 and took as many as I could while I still had the light and he hadn't noticed I was taking them!!

Thanks again, your input is much appreciated.
miked2372 is offline   Reply With Quote