Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 5, 2007, 7:24 PM   #1

Thought I'd share this with other novices out there. I recently bought a 2X Telephoto Lens. This goes in place of filter and is supposed to get you closer to subject. Couldn't spring for a good telephoto lens and thought I'd try this. Bad idea. Just can't seem to focus sharply, images are blurred and much darker, some what off-centered. Perhaps all this is due to fact that the lens in the rear of this gizmo is about half the diameter of front. I don't know if it's the quality of the one I got but I won't try one of these again. Anyone else used one of thes 2X or 3X telephoto adapters?
Lostvincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2007, 7:36 PM   #2

Never used one but have heard from others who had similar experiences. You get what you pay for. Anytime you add extra glass to the equation there's more chance for distortion.

stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 10:30 PM   #3

Lostvincy wrote:
Quote:
I recently bought a 2X Telephoto Lens. This goes in place of filter and is supposed to get you closer to subject. Couldn't spring for a good telephoto lens and thought I'd try this. Bad idea. Just can't seem to focus sharply, images are blurred and much darker, some what off-centered. Perhaps all this is due to fact that the lens in the rear of this gizmo is about half the diameter of front. I don't know if it's the quality of the one I got but I won't try one of these again. Anyone else used one of thes 2X or 3X telephoto adapters?
Do NOT use this or any other add-on lens onto any dSLR lens that attach via the filter thread (whether it's a teleconverter, or wide-angle converter), especially ones that extend like the Zuiko kit lenses (14-45/17.5-45/14-42 and 40-150).

Lenses like this are designed to be screwed into the body of the camera, not on to the end of the lens (on the C-700, this type of lens screws into a tube adapter which screws into the body of the camera, the add-on lens never even touches the C-700 lens).

I've once seen a Zuiko broken in half, so they can't take much weight. As well, add-on lenses will put a lot of weight and strain on the gear(s) and motor that drives the focusing of these lenses...I have tried my Raynox converter lenses on my kit lenses, and the focus motor couldn't keep up to what was being requested of it by the extra weight.

The recommended teleconver for the E-system is the type which goes between the lens and body, like the Olympus EC-14 1.4x teleconverter.

If you don't mind manual focusing or using manual exposure, maybe you might want to look into using Olympus OM lenses with the Olympus MF-1 lens adapter. Check out the lens articles at:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/index.html

Personally I own an OM 80-200mm, an OM 2x converter (which goes between the lens and the body), and an OM 500mm. Here's just an example of what you can do with a long OM lens (Tokina 400mm):
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=270720

Just to add that it's safe to use lenses like closeup lenses that are typically the same size and weight of a regular filter.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 11:03 PM   #4

Mikefellh wrotThanks for the warning. I just did a few trial shots and didn't like the results so won't be trying that again.
Love the moon shot. I've ordered an OM 300mm and an OM 2x converter. I'll keep looking for better OM as alternative to expensive ZD 4/3 lens.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 6, 2007, 12:06 AM   #5

I should have added those moonshots aren't mine (in case that wasn't clear by the name in that message).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 11:14 AM   #6

OK, so looking at ebay for OM lenses and I see some Opteka 500mm and Opteka 500mm Mirror lenses. These seem pretty cheap so probably not very good. I've searched google and can't find any reviews. Anyone here has experience with these lenses? Perhaps I should start a new thread.