Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 10, 2007, 2:32 PM   #1

My E1 fell out of my rucksack on the subway today - it looks as if someone had managed to open the zipper on it and as I started down the escalator it flew out of the bag and hit the deck. The eye pc glass EP-1 was shattered and now doesn't lock in place anymore, also the AF stopped working altogether until I reseated the lens. The 14-54Zd appears to be ok - I was worried that the lens may have shattered.The cam's picked up some bumps and scratches, also the lens "looks" fine but I'm concerned that there may be other issues with it. Are there any tests that you think I should do to see if theres anything wrong with it ? In the meantime I've ordered an EP-2 for the camera and hopefully it will fit and stay on and am waiting to see what Olympus UK say.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2007, 2:41 PM   #2

wow
im so sorry to hear that Harj
i guess trial a few frames to check the AF references ok
at the same time you will get an idea about exposure etc
examine that the finder references ok too
battery door opens and closes

i dont know what else you could look for

it might not be as bad as all that
theyre a pretty solid camera

i hope it works out ok

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 4:00 PM   #3

Hi Riley

I've taken about 15 shots and the AF seems to be working fine. The camera's in good nick although I was really worried as it bounced several times before I could get to it. The eye piece EP1 is a bit of a worry - as it no longer locks in place, and there are very small shards of glass stuck in the rim around the eye peice that I've not been able to remove. I'm wiating for the EP2 to see if that will lock and stay in place. I'm just a wee bit concerened that something else - either lens or the camera itself may be damaged. I'm going to go through the manual and test as much as I can. When the same happened to a canon lens - the internal lens elements just shattered to pieces.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?

Old Apr 10, 2007, 6:49 PM   #4

hi harj,

wow, man i am sorry to hear that!

i hope everything is ok, i can't imagine how

upsetting that is! keep us updated!
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 9:09 PM   #5

Personally, I'd send it in to service just for a checkup.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 10:08 PM   #6

yikes !
that sounds awful
if you cant get the shards out, the a trip to a tech might be a good, and safe option

does the lens zoom and focus without clicks or sounds ?
at risk with them are the gears etc, and dings in the barrel limit movement

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:46 AM   #7

HarjTT:
The good news is this, your camera body is made of cast alloy, so it was designed to take impacts like what described.
It also sounds like it took a hit on the view finder area.
I would be checking to see if your flash TTL is still functioning, and also engage the view finder blinker to see if it covers the eyepiece opening or if it jams during opening or closing.
Also check the diopter correction adjustment, this can be problematic as well.
Lastly but not least, check then function controls on the left top deck of the camera to see if they are functioning.
Olympus really dose not had a system check for the any of their cameras either internally or with the use of their desktop software. I have mention this to them several times.
Canon and Nikon do have software that you can purchase to perform a field check of the 1D's or the Nikon D2's. I am hoping the Olympus will move in that direction as well.
My final advice would be to send the camera to Olympus for a good going over.
A banging like what your camera had experience can miss-align many critical areas of the camera. Only Olympus can correctly determine this and correct you camera back to the factory settings.
Good luck and take care.
Tom
Newsphotog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 11:07 AM   #8

Hi guys

Thanks for the advice. I've contacted Oly Customer services and am going to send the camera off for them to check it tomorrow. Tom, Thanks for the tips on what to check, I hadn;t even thought of the TTL flash - I'll check that quickly tonight and then tomorrow off it goes to Oly for a check up. I didn;t realise that Canon provide diag software for the cam's, I think that would be such a handy bit of software to have and it could possibly save Oly a lot of time and thus $$ checking cameras that may not need to be.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:46 PM   #9

Yikesss .... sorry to hear that HarjTT. I hope Oly Services would be able to fix it
for you.

--
Gaggu
gaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 1:03 PM   #10

HarjTT

Did you get your E-1 back?

Tom
Newsphotog80 is offline   Reply With Quote