Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 23, 2007, 7:14 AM   #11

very cool pictures. Especially the venus one. Very nice. Okay, here's mine too. Took with an e-300.

hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 12:06 PM   #12

Very cool. What lens did you use to capture that? Has it been enlarged as well?
cristovao12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 6:18 PM   #13

Thanks! I reduced the size actually. I shot it with a vivitar 1 100-500mm manual focus lens (which would be the 200-1000mm equivilent in 35mm. It goes down to 5.6 aperature so I thought about buying one of the cheaply available 2x teleconverters and using that as well. Talk about some serious zoom! I bought it on ebay about 6 months ago. I actually went lens crazy on ebay a couple months back. I'm probably going to sell this one back on ebay along with a few others. Nothing wrong with them, just don't use them enough.

Anyway, heres a link to my flickr site where you can click "all sizes" and see some of the originals. In my opinion, the look a little better smaller than big

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7914635...7600184096259/

Old May 23, 2007, 9:41 PM   #14

I'm looking to buy one of those "cheaply 2x converters" on eBay. I realize that they won't be prefect, but what are your thoughts on them in general, considering the price? I don't have the money to get a monster zoom lens (gotta eat and pay for trips to take great pictures...HA!) so I was hoping the converters would serve as a cheap yet suitable substitute.

How much did you get the Vivitar for, if you don't mind me asking. Or, more importantly, what are you looking to get for it when you do sell it?
cristovao12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 10:20 PM   #15

I paid a shade over 200 for it. Then another 20 or so for the adapter to use this film lens on my digital body. The cool thing about using the old lenses is that you can get them cheaply. The bad thing is that you have to manual focus. Still, I've gotten a really nice macro lens that will focus down to about an inch away from the subject for under 20 bucks.

I chose the zoom rather than the fixed mirror lens for just that reason, I can zoom.

I don't know if this forum supports sales or not. I'm guessing not. I sent you a PM if you are interested.