Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 3, 2007, 1:55 PM   #1

I went on eBay and bought a Vivitar 75-300mm f/5.6 OM zoom lens, a 2x teleconverter and an MF adapter for my E-500. The lens seems decent but the 2x converted is not good quality. In any case, this was a proof-of-concept for me, see the attached moon-shot. Now I have to duplicate this with better quality lens.

Lostvincy
Attached Images

Lostvincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2007, 2:20 PM   #2

This second one was taken early in the evening before the daylight was completely gone. I like the color. Wish I knew how to reproduce (I'm such a novice).

Attached Images

Old May 3, 2007, 5:42 PM   #3

Some suggestions for your moon shots.

1. Tripod mount the camera and use a remote control, this will surely help avoid any camera shake. If you do not have a remote control for the camera, try setting the camera timer for like 10 or 30 seconds, then pressure the shutter and wait.

2. Try to advoid taking pictures of the full moon. Usually anything 1/2 or less works better.

Try to focus on the outside edge of the moon, the edge that I call the leading edge. Thats the edge, that grow each nite till the moon is full.

Those suggestions might help 'sharped' your photo alittle bit.

I have also notice, that the x2 telephoto adapters are not always that good. Try taking a few pictures without the adapter and some with. Then compair. I know you want more reach to fill the frame with the moon, but honestly, that will never really happen.

Heres an example of a moon shot I took with the olympus e500 and I think I used the 300mm OM lens or it might have been the 50-500mm sigma lens.. Tripod mounted camera and remote control for the shutter release. Please note this is a cropped down photo and enlarge slightly..

Tat2dGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 4:31 AM   #4

Tat2dguy

that info as me a bit confused

20 second exposure to catch the moon??? its that bright itll surely be washed out

i have taken a few moon shots after reading up on the best way and everyone recons on or around 1/250 at f5.8 which u can shoot free hand

they higher the f stop the sharper the image, if its too dark slow speed, if its too light speed up.

just focus cam manualy on infinaty

shoot at camers highest setting for a big image u can crop and low iso so there is no noise

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 1:44 PM   #5

I read that you should use "Sunny 16 rule". That is, set shutter speed at 1/x where ISO=x at f16. So at ISO=250, set 1/250 sec at f/16, ISO=100, 1/100, etc. Not sure where I saw this but it was probably on this forum. I'm really new to anything but point-and-shoot so I'm willing to try everything and I've tried a lot of combinations. This "Sunny 16 rule" doesn't seem so far off. The first shot I posted was 1/250 at ISO=250 and the second was 1/50 at ISO=250 but this one was done while the sunlight had not all faded and moon was really dim. I think they were both at f/8.0 (the 2x drops a couple of stops).
I think the tripod is a good idea even with the fast shutter just because of the long zoom. I'm going to try without the 2x and see if I can do any better but I think I really need better quality lens.

BTW Tad2dguy, I love the shot. It shows me how much I need to learn.

Thanks
-Lostvincy.

Old May 5, 2007, 12:19 PM   #6

tad2dguy, I did take a half-moon and as you suggested, it shows some more details. However, you must have used the 500mm because I can't get any where near the details you have with my 300mm. Thanks for the tips.
Attached Images

Old May 5, 2007, 11:20 PM   #7

Well, that shot you just posted looks alot better then the other two.

I'm not sure, but either there is some camera shake or the glass is a subpar glass and causing some distoration on ya.

The 300mm I use, is an old Olympus prime lens..

I'll try to take some tests shot tomorrow nite of the moon with the 300 and 500mm lenses and just post them so you can compare..

Maybe try to cut back from the 300mm, to say 250mm with your lens and see if the image when cropped looks any sharper.. Worth a try..

I know the 100-300zoom lens I have from vivitar is not really good with any sort of low light shots, but the lens is ok during the day.

--

Everything is just advice from what has worked for me.. Does not mean it will work for everyone else.

--
Tat2dGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 11:02 AM   #8

Just to add another example, here's a shot I took this weekend with the E500 kit 150 lens. No tri-pod (I forgot to bring it camping with me). I've cropped it and this was the best shot that came out. I don't know what that star/planet is but I kept it in as I thought it was cool.

cristovao12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 6:28 PM   #9

(Lurk mode off)

Awesome shot! The planet, BTW, is Venus.

(Lurk mode on)
bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 8:28 PM   #10

Yes it is...I just read the following on StarDate Online (http://stardate.org) regarding the night I took that shot:

Get outside this evening for the close Moon-Venus conjunction! The two shine close together high in the west during twilight, and lower in the west after dark. You can watch the Moon changing position with respect to Venus hour by hour. Binoculars give a wonderful view. Moreover, Pollux and Castor hang over them, Procyon shines farther to their left, and Capella even farther to their right.

Here's what's in store for the rest of the month in case any of you want to capture some cool photos;

May 22 Saturn is closer to the Moon's right or lower right this evening.
May 27 Spica, in Virgo, is close to the waxing gibbous Moon this evening. The Moon is at apogee.
May 30 Venus is 4 degrees south (lower left) of Pollux.
May 31 Full Moon tonight. This is the second full Moon in this calendar month (in the time zones of North America), an event that's often called a Blue Moon. Jupiter shines to the Moon's left or upper left during evening. Antares is much closer above the Moon.

Happy shooting!
cristovao12 is offline   Reply With Quote