Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 12, 2007, 3:17 PM   #1

Hi all

I brought a Olympus E500 about 8 weeks ago for £299 ( 1 lens kit 17-45mm)

I was gonna take it with me on holiday for7 weeks (India) , but decided not to, and took my Sony DSC S600 instead ( 2 x 2GB cards and 6 Ni-MH 1300) Compact size.

I've come back from Holiday with 800+ pics and decided to open the box and have a look and the E500.

No Card :-(

No Battery or Charger :-( (just CR 123A)

But i've just brought 2 x BLM (1600mAh) + Charger

BUT

I'm stuck on Cards.. I want CompactFlash... But which type does the E500 take

Can it take III and IV and can it take a 4GB card

I'm off to Vancouver for 1 months holiday in AUG and then in OCT i'm off to the Himalayas (India) for 12 weeks and want to get to know the E500 as i might just take it instead of the S600

One last thing

Will i notice much differents in Picture Quality, as the DSC S600 produces excellent photos (Carl Zeiss)

DC history

1999-2001 Cheap DC (.08 MP)

2001-2006 Sony P50 (2.1mp)

2006- Sony DSC S600

2007 E500

zack
zackk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2007, 3:33 PM   #2

i didnt get a card with my e300

you should have got a charger and battery though as they are supplied

anyway it take any compact flash card, u cand get a 2 gig one for less than £20 online now if u search, dont pay high street prices, there a rip off.........jessops !!! dixons/ currys etc all mega rip offs

i use cheap cards cos i am tight, and never had no probs with them at all, i allways use the same company (british) dont buy of ebay from china as its pot luck what u get and not worth wait or price saving

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 3:34 PM   #3

The CF cards are the way to go with the E500. Speed wise, the Extreme III will pretty much max out the camera's ability to write to the card. The Extreme IV will be about the same speed in this area, but may upload on the computer quicker. 4 gb is not aproblem either.

I have the III and think its just fine. I also leave an old XD card (512k) in the camera as a backup and for overflow. Its saved me a couple of times when I forgot to put the other card back after a download. XD cards are VERY VERYS-L-O-W in comparison.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 3:35 PM   #4

one more thing.........the bateries u got dont last no where near as long as genuine olympus, they last a long time compared with "aa" batteries, prob shoot 1000 shots per charge, but olympus one last even longer, i got genuine and a copy and was amazed at the difference
Old May 12, 2007, 4:57 PM   #5

Thanks for the help guys. I think i was done out of the charger... suppose you should always check when purchase its too late know (8 weeks) LOL.

Any way i got the charger and 2 batteries for £33

I was playing around with the E500. is there no way of Permantly disable the flash as even in low light it pops up and gives out these tiny fast flashes even though the main Flash does'nt fire. most annoying.

I suppose i better baptized myself into the forums by doing my duty and putting a Photo in there (well everyone else has LOL)

(Resized to 1024x768 edited in PS CS2 (auto levels, unmaskSharp))

original photo size 2.31mb resolution 2816 x 2112

photoshop version size 6.25mb resolution 2816 x 2112

Taken with Sony DSC S600

Amritsar (Northern India) Golden Temple in the Distance

zackk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 6:45 AM   #6

zackk28 wrote:
Quote:
I was playing around with the E500. is there no way of Permantly disable the flash as even in low light it pops up and gives out these tiny fast flashes even though the main Flash does'nt fire. most annoying.

See page 17 in the Manual.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 7:27 AM   #7

well on my e300 u go to menu /camera1 sub menu(top one) then down to flash and select the flash icon in circle with line through it. its then turned off when u press ok

most people inc me post there pics in the relevant pic forum not in the camera bit, as u dont get as many people looking if its in here.......remember its in oly dslr section so unless u got one your not gonna call in :-)

Gary
Old May 13, 2007, 1:04 PM   #8

I don't know if there's a difference between the UK models vs the Canadian model but I too was concerned about read/write speed on the compact flash cards. I did want to get the III or IV SanDisk models but I was in a pinch when I went to buy it and they only had the 1GB model for an exorbitant price. I ended up getting the standard SanDisk 4GB Compack Flash card and it works fine. Using the highest resolution, lowest compression SHQ JPG, you can get about 650 shots on the card. I was able to continuously take several shots in a good light situation with very little lag.

As far as read/write performance, compared to a 512 MB xD card (which I used on the E500 for the first week, stolen from my Fuji FinePix a345 temporarily), I didn't notice too much of a difference between the two. The guy at the shop told me that the read/write speed was somewhere around 600 kb/s. I didn't seem to get too slowed down by these slower cards but then again, I have yet to discover the faster cards so my opinion may change once I do pick one up.

It's good to know that the in the camera itself, the difference between the III and the IV are next to none.
cristovao12 is offline   Reply With Quote