Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 15, 2007, 6:56 PM   #1

I think a lot of us are going to have a tough choice deciding on which lens to get next, esp if your looking for that extra reach. Now which tele lens would you go for ?

1. Zukio 50-200 SWD f2.8-3.5
2. Zukio 12-60 SWD f2.8-4
3. Leica D 14-150 OIS f3.5-5.6
4. Zukio 35-100 F2

I'm torn between all four of them, although the 35-100F2 if money was no object would be my first choice. If I can save up a pile of £££ then you never know but how close do you think the new 50-200 SWD could be to the 35-100 as it should definelty focus faster and could Oly make it sharper than it already is ?

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2007, 10:21 PM   #2

hey Harj
i thought i might get a new body first
maybe around October
that might limit me to a 40-150
one of the old ones with a metal mount

hows your E-1 going Harj, have you got it back yet ?

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 1:08 PM   #3

Rriley wrote:
Quote:
hey Harj
i thought i might get a new body first
maybe around October
I've got savings enough to cover a 35-100, but now I've decided to wait and see what the new bodies look like. My main concern right now is concert photos with high ISO, and I've already got the 50-200, so it'll be interesting to see what the noise looks like in the P3.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 1:16 PM   #4

if there isnt a discernable difference for my needs
i will probably go with 510

in the meantime im plugging away with the 300
iso800, 1/50th/F:3.2, ev-1.7, 11mm
Attached Images

Old May 16, 2007, 6:02 PM   #5

Now you got me thinking about the 11-22 ! You know in b&W ISO800 looks excellent at 8x10. I'm not too sure on a new cam just yet and may just wait it out for the L2 or if im really silly the E1P+:? ! Prices for the L1 on ebay have really fallen and a friend of mines just ordered one for £600 inc. the Leica D but I think I'll wait for the second revision as I'm at the moment more than happy with the E1. I'm finding the lens a bigger restriction than the E1 - not being able to get as close as I'd like or as wide and I'm beginning to feel that I'm taking the same kind of shots all the time with the 14-54ZD. What I need to do is to improve on my photography skills/technique and imagination first before changing cam's and thats where an additional lens comes into play. I really wish that Oly or PanaLeica had intro'd a 35-100 or 50-100 f2.8 lens as i think it would just fly of the shelves. As it is I'm wondering really hard on getting the 35-100 f2 - one stop or is it 1.5 stops faster than the 50-200 would be really useful, esp for low light shots, portrait work, razor sharp and the FL is just ideal. The only negatives, size/weight, cost, non SWD and no IS. Slap on the TC and I think we're at the same aperture as the 50-200. Has anyone tried or heard of the 35-100 being used with the macro convertor ?

Norm, Have you tried the 35-100 yet ? If so how much better do you think it is over the 50-200 which you already have ? Would you think about getting the new 50-200WD instead of the 35-100 ?

I really wish Oly had given a time scale and price of both the 12-60 and 50-200SWD lenses. I could understand if they were going to use the 12-60SWD as the kit lens for the E1+ and hence the delay in shipping but I'd always assumed that the 14-35F2 would have been the lens that would ship with any E1 successor.

Regards the E1+ I think Oly needs to set the record straight on the E1 successors name - is it the P1 or the E1+ or the E3 ? Its getting silly at this stage not knowing what the cam will be called.

Cheers

HarjTT

:?:O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 10:44 PM   #6

not something 300 can do all the time, the room is dimly lit by strip flouro lights, but the white walls reflect it all over the place which helps a lot. Still next time back down to iso400 and -1.3ev, shoot a bit slower.

the rollout is being carefully managed, theyve had a glitch with some 410 cameras that doesnt seem to be in every one. I think it wouldnt hurt to say something about P1 (?) except to say this.

Appart from interim changes, August/September is when Canon always put out there new gear. So they need to penetrate through that hype, and to an extent ride on the back of it. Inevitably the Oly will be compared and it needs to come up to scratch.

theres a discussion about the 35-100 here
http://fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=13304

Riley