Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 16, 2007, 7:43 PM   #1

Is there a way to tell how much battery power is left on the E-500? I'm colorblind, so if it is a color-coded method that's why I can't tell. If there is some other way to tell, I've missed it entirely. Been loving this camera for the last several months, though...
jimkurta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2007, 12:25 AM   #2

While the battery indicator does use colour, here's how to read it without being able to see colour...most of the time the battery indicator doesn't display (when showing full it only displays when the power is first turned on)...when the battery level is low, then it displays all the time (the battery symbol will only be half lit)...when the battery is almost totally drained the symbol will be flashing (don't bother trying to take another picture because the camera may shut down while writing to the card and corrupt the card).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 12:33 AM   #3

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
While the battery indicator does use colour, here's how to read it without being able to see colour...most of the time the battery indicator doesn't display (when showing full it only displays when the power is first turned on)...when the battery level is low, then it displays all the time (the battery symbol will only be half lit)...when the battery is almost totally drained the symbol will be flashing (don't bother trying to take another picture because the camera may shut down while writing to the card and corrupt the card).
Thanks. I'd never seen it in constant on or flashing mode. The only time I had a problem was when I used the camera for an extended period of time, then didn't use it for several days. When I turned it on it shut off almost immediately. As long as the color remains constant I don't have a problem with using the color. It's when it changes from yellows, to greens to oranges that I can't tell.

I have noticed that it takes several hours (between 6 and 8) to get a full charge when it's drained.

Again, thanks for the help.
jimkurta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 1:08 AM   #4

If you need the battery to charge faster get the BCM-01 charger (the camera comes with the BCM-02). Personally I own four BLM-1 batteries, so I've never had a problem with a battery dying on me, or an issue with the slower charger.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 11:11 AM   #5

The salesman at the camera shop told me I should be able to get up to 1000 shots on a full charge provided I didn't use the preview too much. I managed to drain the battery in one night taking nearly 250 shots but most of them were with the flash so I suspect that drains the battery even more.

Regardless, the next test will be this weekend as I'm going camping and won't be able to recharge the single battery I have. I think it'll hold up.
cristovao12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 5:11 AM   #6

Stay away from the continuous focus mode also this weekend if you don't have that extra battery.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 10:53 AM   #7

Thanks for the tip. I only took about 120 shots this weekend and the battery held up quite nicely. I even got a shot of the crescent moon with the kit 150 lens that provided a little bit of detail. I'll post it in another thread that's more appropriate.
cristovao12 is offline   Reply With Quote