Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 20, 2007, 8:09 PM   #1

I'm looking for some help on TTL flashes. I've got an E-300 and have really enjoyed using my vivitar 285s on it. It is usually pretty easy to dial in the flash and shoot manually. Still, I know I miss some shots because they're too light/too dark. And as everyone knows, some of those shots you can't take twice.

I know Olympus makes 3 dedicated TTl flashes. Are there any other manufacturers? Any really good review sites? I'm figuring I should just pull the trigger on the FL-36, but I always want to know what the options are.

Thanks!
Hayden
hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2007, 2:00 AM   #2

hayden wrote:
Quote:
I'm figuring I should just pull the trigger on the FL-36, but I always want to know what the options are.

The options are few, if any for Digital Zuiko cameras. The FL36 is about as good as you'll do for the priceif you don't need the higher power levels/distance coverage andfaster recycle speeds of the FL50.

I have seen mention of some Cullman-brand units that are dedicated, but I've not checked them out so cannot say for sure. That's about it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 2:21 AM   #3

In terms of 3rd party flashes, there is also Promaster 5550DX or 5750DX with the appropriate adaptor, and the Metz 44-AF/O flash

http://www.promaster.com/products/pr...p;product=5425

Also rumoured are Quantaray, maybe the same as Promaster and D-Concepts flash
but have absolutely no idea what gives with any of them

http://cgi.ebay.ca/D-Concepts-AF-TTL...QQcmdZViewItem

For Olympus flash, the FL36 has dropped in price a lot, and is quite a useful lightweight flash, its main issue is the slow recycling time, which gets to 10 secs or so on dull empty cells. You can use faster Lithium cells available from Olympus

What you need to be aware of is, are you getting TTL falsh, and will it in TTL mode still give you FP for faster than 180th sec sync speed as the FL-36 will

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 6:05 AM   #4

Rriley wrote:
Quote:

What you need to be aware of is, are you getting TTL falsh, and will it in TTL mode still give you FP for faster than 180th sec sync speed as the FL-36 will

Riley
I have the FL-36 and use it primarily in the aforementioned TTL FP mode. Being able to sync above 1/180 allows me to use fill-flash outdoors to remove shadows and add some "pop" to pictures taken in the shade. For indoor work I find my Sunpak 383 (a close cousin to your Vivitar 285) and my Sunpak 522 handle-mount provide better output and faster recycle in AUTO mode.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 9:36 AM   #5

I have the FL-36 on an E-300 and am very pleased with it. The only ref I've found for it is here:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/fl-36.html
Malakor is offline   Reply With Quote