Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 23, 2007, 10:06 PM   #11

ST77 wrote:
Quote:
Sorry for the late reply wasnt at my pc yesterday here is the data requested

iso 100 137mm f 3.5 1/50sec
On the E-500, somewhere between 40-75mm would be a good range for portrait shooting (considering many recommend 105mm on 35mm cameras, that's 52.5mm on the E-500) although there's no hard rule about that. You may want to read up on portrait shooting at:
http://olympusdigitalschool.com/phot...ons/index.html (note that it's FREE)

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 3:52 AM   #12

Even on the tripod, when shooting a human subject, you might get at least some blur at 1/50. That's aside from camera shake/focal length. I know alot of fashion photographers do like those long focal lengths, and the narrow depth of field (and nice background blur) is often desireable as well (and maybe the reason to get that 50-200 in the first place). I guess you just need to make sure you have enough light to get the shutter speed you need there.

Maybe getting some experience with handling the heavier lens is part of it too. The shot isn't that soft, but I think that lens should be capable of more. I wonder if you have any tripod examples? If the lens is never sharp, even in shooting a static subject off a triod with good light and a fast shutter, then maybe it is the lens.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 3:02 PM   #13

You know I think havign the camera on a tripod and without a remote shutter release could also be at play. I noticed that when I had the E1 + 14-54ZD on a tripod and tried to take a shot, there was the slightest camera shake which did cause the shots to be blurred or very soft. It may be worth while taking a burst of shots, the first one or two would be blurred but the others should be sharp and that the shutter speed is at least 1/focal length. From what I've seen of the 50-200 its tack sharp - may be worthwhile sticking to around between 50-100mm (100-200mm 35mm equiv) for shooting portraits. Thats my plan if I get the 50-200ZD - stick to 50-100 and thus have an f2.8/2.9 constant lens as I can't see Oly or Panaleica brining out a 50-100f2.8.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 7:08 PM   #14

Thanks for all the relpys and tips, I do feel that some of the blur/focus is me for sure as I am still working on learning the camera. It was also the first time I had used my 50-200 and I did really notice its weight. Going to work on that hand hold technique and playing with focal length and shutter speed.
ST77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 7:46 PM   #15

Quote:
You know I think havign the camera on a tripod and without a remote shutter release could also be at play.
This is my biggest complaint about the newest models; no remote cable release. I just picked up an E-330 this past month when Cameta had the two lens kit for $600. With the live view and articulating screen, that should be a great tripod camera. But how could they leave out remote cable release?

Old May 25, 2007, 11:45 PM   #16

i thought i heard the 510 takes a cable release
although i cant recall where
would be quite welcome from me to use a cable not a specific release

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 6:48 AM   #17

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
But how could they leave out remote cable release?
Hi, Ken

The E-500 does allow a remote release, sort of. It is the RM-1 remote control, a wireless unit that also allows the lens to be zoomed. Unfortunatelythe camera's wireless sensor is in the front of the camera body with a narrow angle of reception, so that remote control is only really useful if you're taking a picture of yourself and in that configuration who knows whatthe remote zoom ability is good for :sad:.

I agree with you - I wishtheE-series cameras allowed the use of the wonderful wired remote cable that myE-20 has.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 2:27 PM   #18

Yes, it looks like the part for some of the older cameras was the RM-CB1:
http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/198_RM-CB1.htm

And the E-400 apparently had the RM-UC1:
http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/198_RM-UC1.htm

As far as I can tell from the E-410 manual I downloaded, it's not supported. There also doesn't seem to be anything similar for the E-330. While I can understand why this wouldn't have been a big seller for the E-400, which is maybe more of a walk around model, they really should have had something for the E-330 and at least the E-510.

Old May 26, 2007, 3:03 PM   #19

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
As far as I can tell from the E-410 manual I downloaded, it's not supported. There also doesn't seem to be anything similar for the E-330. While I can understand why this wouldn't have been a big seller for the E-400, which is maybe more of a walk around model, they really should have had something for the E-330 and at least the E-510.
Well that wired remote requires a fairly substantial connector jack on the camera body (at least it does on my E-20). So I would be happy with the RM-1 wireless remote on the E-510 as long as they put a sensor on the back of the camera body so it could be used for photography other than self-portraits. As it is implemented on my E-500 it is, like the BMW I-Drive joystick, a solution looking for a problem <grin>.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 4:28 PM   #20

The E-410 IS supposed to support the RM-UC1...the instructions for it would come with the remote.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote