Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 21, 2007, 8:27 PM   #1

I have been using my E500 since december I started with the kits lens but have since upgraded to the 14-54 and the 50-200. I shoot from a tripod when ever possible but go handheld when I just cant get the angle. I have noticed that at times even when shooting from the tripod I just cant get blur free photos with the upgraded lens. Most of the time my subjectsare models so I do understand that part of the problem could be them. I use Single auto focus but have considered changing to continous, I try to shoot at ISO 100, using A priority or manual modes. I have included a picture from a shoot this weekend as a example, it was shoot outdoors about 45min before sunset on asemi cloudy day. I did not use a tripod for this butit was steadied on a railing. Anytips would be awsome, I can afford to upgrade to theE510, but would rather not until I have tweaked this camera.
Attached Images

ST77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2007, 2:19 AM   #2

Can you post the Exif data for that image (shutter speed, etc.). Without that information it's hard to tell what the issue is (the program you used to edit the image stripped that data out).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 2:38 AM   #3

I wonder what the exif data says for the exposure. It looks to me like there's not a problem with the focus. It looks like it's in focus right under the nearest eye, which is exactly what you want. But it also looks like you're dealing with a narrow depth of field there (is this shooting wide open?), so you may not get the same level of detail throughout.

Also, the exposure is a bit dark and the white balance seems warm. Here's how I see it, after adjusting levels and then running it through unsharp mask:

Attached Images

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 7:58 AM   #4

One more attempt; this might be closer. I do think you can get a bit sharper from that lens though. I wonder if the shutter was fast enough?

Attached Images

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 7:34 AM   #5

really need the EXIF to analyse this adequately

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 3:05 PM   #6

HI ST

A pretty face and what would have been a very nice portrait shot :G !! I think Ken's done a pretty fine job with his first attempt at fixing the image. Like Ken, I think the focus is right on and also agree that without EXIF info its going to be pretty hard to help you fix the problem. My own opinion is that your shutter speed was to slow - from what I've read your minimum shutter speed without IS, should approximately be 1/focal length, so if that was taken with say the 14-54 at 54mm, to get a sharp shot, you'd need to have been at least 1/108s.

To help you here's a really fab camera holding technique posted by John aka (Boyzo) - I used it all the time with E1 and my FZ10 (even with IS):

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

An example of how slow you can shoot with that technique:

Taken handheld at ISO 200, F6.3 @ 1/3s @ 14mm Olympus E1 - 14-54ZD

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 8:19 PM   #7

Sorry for the late reply wasnt at my pc yesterday here is the data requested

iso 100 137mm f 3.5 1/50sec
ST77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 8:30 PM   #8

137mm f 3.5 1/50sec looks like the culprit. As some here mentioned, 1/focal length is a good rule of thumb to go by. You should have been shooting at least 1/150 sec. Probably closer to 1/250 or 1/300.

As others have mentioned on this thread, if you can hold really steady, slower shutter speeds without blur are possible. You've got your aperature open pretty wide so there's not much you can do there to allow for faster shutter times (unless you've got a lens that goes a lot lower that f3.5). Only way to get around this is to up the ISO or use a shorter focal length.
hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 8:33 PM   #9

Just thinking out loud...er...on the keyboard and I came up with another solution. One that I use a lot. Close up your aperature more and that will give you more depth of field (which some mentioned could be part of the problem). Then use some off camera flashes (or the on camera for that matter). The flash will be a really short burst. Effectively, making your shutter speed shorter. There will still be blur, but most of the image will be burned to your sensor when the flash goes off.
hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 8:45 PM   #10

My first question would be why such a long focal lenth? The lady dosen't look like she bites. Walk up there and say "Hello"
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote