Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 30, 2007, 6:05 AM   #11

i can think of a few areas where 4/3 can do well
certainly where i work in real estate, although not a prestigeous area
and in wedding photography (something i avoid like the black death)
so perhaps its more a matter of appropriate tasking rather than competing with other models, although i agree that is in the end what happens.

there have been a few M8 for weddings, one guy i recall sets an exposure and simply racks the iso control. Ostensibly i think M8 may well show more noise than does 410/510 and by proxy P1. The contentious risk for pro photographers then surrounds the format of 4x3 as opposed to 3x2. To my mind 4x3 suits vertical portraits of couples much better than does 3x2, and is more printer efficient in popular formats anyway.

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 6:57 AM   #12

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
We also don;t know which part of the pro market Oly are targetting with the E1+. Is it the semi-pro D200/Fuji S5, the canon 1D MKIII or even the 1Ds, etc ? My own thoughts are that the E1+ is going to be pitched between D200/Fuji S5 and the 1D MKIII. From first reviews the 1D MKIII is a pretty impressive beastie even at 10MP and we may see an update to the D200 somepoint this year but thats just a hunch on my part.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
I sure hope its not a 3 or 4 lb mark III wannabe. That's not the e-system advantage. If it were difficult to distinguish (from the outside) between itself and the E1, that would be fine with me. I also hope its not a $4000 body.

Sure looking forward to finding out.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 3:25 PM   #13

Quote:
My own thoughts are that the E1+ is going to be pitched between D200/Fuji S5 and the 1D MKIII.
I think that's about right. That is, not a $4000 body but probably $2000+.

They've given some indications of plans for a future E-30 which would target the midrange. I suspect that would be the model that would go more directly against the 30D (or future 40D?) and D200 (or D300?) in the $1200-$1500 area. So I think they'll leave a bit of space for that.

And I expect they intend to eventually target that midrange hard. And I I don't think they'll get into too much of a bottom feeding competitiion with Nikon and Pentax on the low end. Looking at the quality of both the lens lineup, and what is going into the "entry level" models, I expect they're after the more advanced amature/enthusiast segment, where profit margins might be a bit better, rather than increasing market share primarily on the low end.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 5:27 PM   #14

Hi Ken

Completely agree about the need for a mid-range E30 model as both the E410/E510 are squarely aimed at the low-mid end of the market, and they need something to compete against the likes of the 30D/D200. I don;t think they need the E3 to match the MKIII but as long as its better than the D200 (which would be impressive) and fairly close to the 1D MKIII (but smaller and quieter, retains the look of the E1 - I still find the 2 concept models a bit ugly) they will do well.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 6:38 PM   #15

Hi, Harj

I'm curious about what are the attributes for a pro camera that y'all are discussing. In my experience a singnificant difference in a pro camera body is that it is made with a metal framework to withstand shock and vibration. But I'm getting the feeling that in this thread you are assuming that the E3 will have more robust photographic attributes than the E-510. So if you would be so kind as to enlighten me, what might those digital attributes be?

Thanks,

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 12:57 AM   #16

attributes like:
zip shutter lag/faster frame rate/faster AF/larger RAW buffer
solid construction to take a beating
durably built to resist the impacts of the environment

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote