Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:48 PM   #1

Are the Olympus & Panasonic IS systems compatible? Meaning, if I use Leica lenses at Olympus bodies or Zuiko Lenses at Panasonic or Leica bodies will image stabilisation work?
leandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2007, 2:02 PM   #2

Olympus does it in the BODY, Leica/Panasonic do it in the LENS.

If you put the Olympus/Zuiko lens on a Leica/Panasonic body you will have NO image stabilization.

If you put the Leica/Panasonic lens on the E-510 you will have to turn off one of the two stabilization devices (either the lens or the body) because they will fight each other.

If you put the Leica/Panasonic lens on any other Olympus body you'll use the lens stabilization.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 3:47 PM   #3

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
Does it mean that Olympus' solution is inherently more economical in the long run, as there is only one mechanism no matter how many lenses you have? While with Leica you are paying for the mechanism at each lens you buy?
Old Jun 11, 2007, 3:52 PM   #4

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
Does it mean that Olympus' solution is inherently more economical in the long run, as there is only one mechanism no matter how many lenses you have? While with Leica you are paying for the mechanism at each lens you buy?
Old Jun 11, 2007, 5:33 PM   #5

leandro wrote:
Quote:
Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
For the consumer, but the Leica/Panasonic method is more "professional" (and costly)...you are moving an optic, rather than moving the sensor, and only on certain lenses that have the IS built-in...here's the way Canon does it for their lenses, including the lens that was in the Olympus C-2100:
http://technology.sympatico.msn.ca/c...nISdiagram.jpg

Now while the in-body method may not deliver as good results, it however gives you IS with almost EVERY lens you own...those who have tested IS with the E-510 have good results but have confirmed that IS won't work with manual (OM) lenses (Olympus is saying that the body needs to know the focal length in order to do IS).

Old Jun 11, 2007, 5:58 PM   #6

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
For the consumer, but the Leica/Panasonic method is more "professional" (and costly)...you are moving an optic, rather than moving the sensor
And how exactly is this better? I would expect the sensor to be far easier to move.

Does this mean the Olympus IS will never have the same quality as the Leica one?
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:50 PM   #7

leandro wrote:
Quote:
Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
And how exactly is this better? I would expect the sensor to be far easier to move.

Does this mean the Olympus IS will never have the same quality as the Leica one?
Why not go ask some Sony/Minolta DSLRusers? Those cameras have used sensor shake technology from the start, and they seem to do very well. Their dust system is trash, but the sensor shake technology works. If the Canon/Nikon system works one stop better, and I do not assume here it does,at what dollar point is it worth the difference? Last time I priced them, the image stabilized 70-200 f2.8 Canon cost $1,600. The non-image stabilized lens was over $500 less expensive. When I owned my Canon outfit, the 70-200 f4L I ownedcost me$550. The new version, with image stabilization costs...guess....$500 more. Who knows what price premiumto attach to the technology as implemented in the "Leica" lenses. Part of any premium you can figure will be applicable to the name...that's just how that works with leica.

You are not paying that kind of premium for the E510 over what the E500 cost back when it was first introduced, and you wind up with the technology for every lens you have.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:19 AM   #8

Think of the quality between the kit lens, and the pro lens...if you've never used any of the pro lenses you're happy with the quality of the kit lens (providing it's producing good images). However once you use the pro lenses you want to ditch the kit lenses and upgrade.

For the average person they may never see the difference, unless you get into the really long teles (300mm and up). Also maybe there's a speed factor, the lens IS is constantly correcting so it's ready when you need it, while the body IS is only effective when you take the picture (or maybe in Live View mode as well, never used it yet).

Unless you're a pro shooting sports, you probably wouldn't care.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 5:34 AM   #9

leandro wrote:
Quote:
Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
I can state that the IS in the Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm, mounted on my E-500, isn't as good as the in-body IS in my Oly SP-550UZ, which last weekend allowed me to get good shots at 1/5 second.

This is not to say that I don't love the Leica lens, which is superb, but that in my experience with those two IS systems the in-body IS works better.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote