Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:15 AM   #1

Just spotted the 410 review over at dpreview.com - haven't read it as I've only come across it so I don;t know what Phil thinks of it.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse410/

Steve/Jim when do we get to see the E410/510/L1 reviews ?

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:23 AM   #2

Just read the review and its a pretty good one indeed!

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 8:57 PM   #3

It looks good. I'm sure it will be popular.

I've a slight tinge of regret for having the E-400 because I'd find the live view useful, but even so I don't think I'll be swapping just yet because I do like it.
Oly-E-User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:58 PM   #4

Are the Olympus lenses recommended. I have had a dSLR but back when I had an SLR, I was told to go for the Tamron lenses as they were better.

Is it because of the technology that the Olympus lenses are better matched to the specific camera?
linnefaulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:21 PM   #5

Yes the Olympus (Zuiko Digital) lenses are very good.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/smp/06012005.html

Quote:
Best Lens Line for Overall Optical Quality (tie): Olympus Digital Zuiko (for Four-Thirds System) Leica R (for 35mm SLR)

All just personal opinions, of course. Don't sweat the fun stuff!

Specifically, the mid range of ZD lenses, the 11-22, 14-54, and 50-200 f2.8-3.5, and the 50 f2 macro are all outstanding value for the price. The top pro glass is even better, but expensive.

For cheaper consumer glass, the kit lenses are good for inexpensive kit lenses. A drawback is that the 4/3 mount has the weakest support from third party makers. There are some Sigma offerings, but not as many as other mounts, and nothing from Tamron or Tokina.

And, while the ZD lenses are outstanding optically, they are a bit behind Canon and Nikon in making lenses with quiet high speed ring drive motors. Olympus is just beginning to offer SWD lenses, their equivalent of Canon's USM motors.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 8:12 PM   #6

linnefaulk wrote:
Quote:
Are the Olympus lenses recommended. I have had a dSLR but back when I had an SLR, I was told to go for the Tamron lenses as they were better.
I'm happy enough with the kit lenses, (14-42 and 40-150) they've proved to be very versatile and when you consider the x2 crop factor offer a very good range too.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 8:17 PM   #7

linnefaulk wrote:
Quote:
I'm happy enough with the kit lenses, (14-42 and 40-150) they've proved to be very versatile and when you consider the x2 crop factor offer a very good range too.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 8:17 PM   #8

linnefaulk wrote:
Quote: