Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 15, 2007, 2:24 PM   #1

I just finished reading the cameralabs reviwe of the 510:

http://cameralabs.com/reviews/OlympusE510/verdict.shtml

A wee quote from the summary ".....But its unrivalled feature-set and affordable pricing makes it one of the most compelling – not to mention important – DSLRs to date. It propels both Olympus and the Four Thirds standard to the premier league and should be seriously considered by anyone in the market for a new 10 Megapixel DSLR"

Looks as if Oly have hit a home run with the 510....:? :G :O

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2007, 5:00 PM   #2

thats awesome! and very interesting! i'm sure alot of you folks will think i am not too bright, when i say i wish they made 2 models, one like it is now , and one with the basic settings, like the E1, maybe its just me, but there is too much stuff to confuse you when you are new to photography, i love my e-500, i just wish they made one without all fluff! but thats my 2 cents.
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 5:51 PM   #3

Hi John

From what I can tell the E510 should be pretty easy for most people esp those that have come from using a P&S camera - you just have your shooting modes, access to Liveview when you want to use the LCD for framing shots, IS to help improve your pics and now a good sensor that at 10MP matches both Canon CMOS and Sony CCD's. I haven;t checked how many buttons and dials the 410/510 have but I don;t think its too many. I think the E1's replacment the E1+ is goign to have even more buttons than these two cameras.

I'm planning to sit tight for a while and just learn to get the best out of the E1 and see what comes out from PanaLeica and Oly towards the end of the year before making any moves.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:10 PM   #4

hi harj,

thanks for reply. and i do understand that people who are used to p&s can easily move to the dslr. and its not that i'm against new technology, but i would like to see the same technology but with out all those extra settings, in the begininng they really confused me, even after reading and reading the manual, and eve calling oly (which helped) a few times! thanks again, and did you get your E1 fixed?

best regards, john
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 2:38 PM   #5

I am anxiously awaiting a dpreview of this camera before I purchase a Sony A100. Looks like the kit lenses are excellent
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 8:03 PM   #6

The Oly kit lenses have always been above par and it looks as if Oly have raised the quality that bit more. On a personal note, I've tried the Sony Alpha and its kit lens (a friend has it) and its a nice camera and the lens is ok but I think the E510 + kit lenses would be a much better buy and you then have the Oly pro lens range to upgrade too at an affordable price. The other thing is that the Alpha is getting on a bit and I wouldnt be suprised that we'll see an update to it this summer.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
Old Jun 17, 2007, 1:15 AM   #7

nice review in many ways from cameralabs

Phil Askey just blotted the ink on his review too
after the pasting he got in Olympus DSLRS section of his own forum suggesting bias, hes made some careful decisions about how its represented

how do you guys see 510 against L1 and such ?

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:57 PM   #8

Hi Riley

I think Phil's review of the 410 was balanced and infact very good. His review of the DMC L1 was also pretty decent and I'm lookign forward to his and Steve's reveiw of the 510.

My own personal opinion is that the 410/510 are both aimed at the entry level user (hey thats still me !) - D40 to D80 terrority and as such are easily a match for any of the Canon/Nikon cameras (except for AF points, etc). The DMC L1 on the other hand and the E330 as well I think are in the next step up, esp the L1 with its mag alloy body. We'll definetly see a 510 entry level version SLR from Pana this summer so it'll be interesting to see what features Pana will include in the entry level cam. I'm assuming PanaLeica will not include Oly's IS but hey we never know they may just include it for those times when you don;t have an IS based lens. IQ wise its clear that the new NMOS sensor from Pana is doing a very good job and is a step up on the version in the L1/E330 and add to that your getting in cam IS, which can only be a good thing. I'm waiting to see what the "we don;t need IS" crowd will say once they start to see how useful it is - having come from the FZ10 I was shocked to see how many ppl over at the oly forum at dpreview were against it. TThe L1 +the Leica D is now at some very good prices and I've been tempted to bite :? but have been good and held off.

I think I'll give the E510 a miss and see what the E1+ is like (esp if its priced at the D200 mark, ie £850 body only = $1700USD) and if not the E1p see what goodies PanaLeica bring to the table this summer. I know one thing it needs to be a camera that can take a knock... so mag alloy is a must as I'm sure at somepoint its goign to take a knock !

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
Old Jun 18, 2007, 5:30 AM   #9

hey Harj ..
about Phil, he took a roasting over some of his comments about 410, and one could sense people were ready to take the torch to him if he didnt attempt to recognise other features like SSWF and LiveView, which he did in spades in the 510 review .. funny about that.

My take on 510 is its rather above entry level, the additional features are a rank higher in complication, and therefore somewhat away from amatuer status. Take the case that I use a 300 for interiors work at the moment , the 510 would be a whole new world of usefulness for me. I still use LC1 outdoors, often its images need very little work for those vital street shots.

wow things seem expensive in the UK, here are some au prices from1 store, without looking for a deal
Pentax K10 & kit $1,299.95
Pentax K100 & kit $727.00
Samsung GX10 & kit $1,181.00
Nikon D40 & kit $1,454.00
Fuji S5 body $2,799.95
Canon 400D & kit $2,099.95
Canon 400D body $1,250
Olympus E-410 & kit $1,299.95
Olympus E-510 & kit $1,499.95
Leica Digilux 3 & kit $3,999.95
Canon 1Ds MkII body $11,000.00
Canon 1D MkIII body $6,499.00

510 looks well placed and well featured in comparison. There must be a quarterly report due soon that will include the 410 release sales. I recon if its up by 3.5% Oly could crack 10% share this year till Mar 08. Like you Im anxious to see what P1/E3 is like, but I would need some compelling reasons to go with it in preference to 510. My update is to happen this Sept/Oct

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:45 AM   #10

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
My own personal opinion is that the 410/510 are both aimed at the entry level user
Hi, Harj

I lean towards Riley's view that the E-510 ranks abovethe entry level. In addition to the points he makes, I would add the observation I've often made about Oly digicamsthat they're the only ones I know of which allow you to change (especially reduce) the defaultcontrast level recorded by the camera. This is very important for photography in bright sunlight where you are able to capture a broader luminance range (at the expense of having to then increase the contrast manually in PShop for each shot). However I do appreciate that this may not be such a big issue for folks living in the British Isles <grin>.

The dual flash card feature is very handy when you're in situations of strange or unusual lighting because you can store good previous photos on one card and use them to evaluate the current situation with the camera's - bynature an uncalibrated - LCD screen. This is not a feature likely to be used by beginning amateurs.

My E-500 has been used a lot in dusty desert conditions (although not battlefield conditions) and itsdurability has been exemplary, so I'm feeling that for me the E1+ would need to offer an awful lot to justify spending twice the money over the E-510. But that's just me...

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote