Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:56 PM   #1

Hi - I have an oly e-300 and will be attending my first Indycar event soon. I'm really excited - longtime indycar fan, first time going to a race rather than watching it on tv.

Any tips on getting great shots of autos that are running around a track at over 200 mph?
curiousgeorge77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2007, 2:26 AM   #2

try lowering your shutter speedandpanning with the car bluring the background and hopefully keeping the car in focus. I personaly dont like the effect much, but when done right it can look cool. If the race runs till sunset then glowing brake discs look neat too. have fun and post some!
batrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 5:27 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Don't get worried about speed as you are going to be quite a distance away from the track. The speed you will need to be tracking (angular rotation) is probably going to be slower than quite a few other sporting events where the subjects are moving slower but a lot closer.

To get the feeling of speed you will want to reduce the shutter and I would say start at 1/320th to 1/500th (depending how fast the cars are going when you shoot them) as it will give some motion blur and allow for quite easy sharp images. I would also suggest being more creative when you have got used to the panning technique, give 1/160th or lower a try and you will be amazed what you can get. Now as you are going to be using quite a long lens (what do you have lens wise by the way?) I would use a monopod to assist with camera shake/wobble in the vertical while panning.

I would suggest getting to a local road and practise the skill of panning to ensure you have a good grounding before going to the event, it will also allow you to try different settings etc.

You need to set the camera to continuous focus and continuous shoot, track the car and get the focus locked on before it gets to where you want the shot and then fire off a short bust.... also keep tracking afterwards as you never know what might happen. Don't adjust focal length while you are panning as this will add shake and mean you are less likely to get a sharp result so you will need to have tried out a few to see what focal length gives you the framing that you want.

If you check out the sports section you will find work from quite a few of us shooting motorsports.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 10:01 PM   #4

Thank you for a very informative and helpful reply Mark1616. I really appreciate it!

On the lens lengths, I received the e-300 as a birthday gift a few years ago, and my loved one who got it for me bought the kit that comes with two lenses - the kit lens
which I believe is 14-45mm and the second lens is 40-150mm.

I've been thinking about buying the oly 3/4 adapter and then start acquiring some old-school lenses. Any thoughts/recommendations on that, or what length might be ideal for the Indy race?

Thanks also to you, Batrug, for your post. I hadn't thought about glowing brake discs.
That does sound like they were make for a tres cool pic.
curiousgeorge77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 4:20 AM   #5
Super Moderator

You're welcome.

Personally I would rather have AF than manual focus for something so fast moving as although you can set a particular length and then shoot when the subject is that distance away you are going to get more shots by tracking the subject with an AF lens. Although the 40-150 lens is not the fastest (low f number) it will be fine as usually when shooting motorsport you will not be looking for f2.8 rather f8 is pretty common.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote