Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 29, 2007, 8:16 AM   #11

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
It's a two piece unit just like the E-1 and E-300 grips are, the battery grip is removable;
Thanks, Mike. And if you're going to use Live View much, you'll definitely need that second battery <grin>.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 8:38 AM   #12

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
If the E-P1/E3 is aimed squarely at the D200/30D crowd then we're looking at around $1600USD for the body only which hopefully doesnt translate to £1600 but to the D200's current £900.

So we're looking at the E3 being double the price of the e510 twin lens kit .
Hi, Harj

Although a more durable body is always a good thing (in cameras and in life in general), I've been pondering whether the other features of the E-P1/E3 are worth that much more. My E-20 has a tiltable LCD and I have rarely used it, mostly because it doesn't tilt all that much so it's not helpful if for example you want to hold the camera above your head to shoot over a crowd; perhaps the implementation in the E3 will be better but there's a limit to how moveable that screen can be and still have arobust mechanism and retain the electrical connection reliably. High-speed shooting isn't important to me although I can see where some photographers would want that (e.g. sports photography).

BUT, a more sensitive MOS? Now that has my interest. Andthe MOS is likely to be different than the one used in the E510 if it can shoot at 5fps, since the E-510 can only shoot 3fps. I could be wrong but I believe that means a different MOS.

Ted
Old Jun 29, 2007, 9:37 AM   #13

Well if they deliver on 5 stops of image stabilization, I guess no one will be able to claim anymore that in lens stabilization is better.

As for the sensor, it sounds like they will use the same chip, but maybe with some improved circuitry. And they have some added technology for increased dynamic range (apparently by taking multple readings off the chip).

And they're not only claiming "world's fastest" autofocus with SWD lenses, they're claiming it will beat the D200 and 30D by a good margin in low light autofocus as well.

Also it will be interesting to see how the infrared wireless flash system measures up against radio frequency systems.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 6:17 AM   #14

I'm thinking that one feature I'd like Oly to include in their E-series cameras is the ability to really set a default file name prefix for the stored files.

Ted
Old Jul 8, 2007, 8:17 AM   #15

Rriley wrote:
Quote:
As to November launch arrrhhh, I dont want to wait that long ! Perhaps some images will come out before then so I can make some decisions about 510 or E-P1, there would need to be some bigger more compelling reasons for me to go beyond 510 as it stands.
My personal hunch is that the reason they're waiting so long is because the E-3 indeed will have the same sensor as the E-410/510, and right now they're anxiously collecting and analyzing every bit of E-410/510 market data they can in order to finesse the E-3's supporting circuitry and chips so as to produce image quality that betters that of its earlier two syblings. They know, I think, that if the E-3 doesn't produce notably better IQ than its little brother and sister, all the bells and whistles in the world won't really make much difference. The things that make me want to wait for the E-3 is the promise of generally higher IQ (including lower noise), and faster/more accurate focus. All the rest, including sequential exposure speed, buffer size, wireless flash, etc., is secondary.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 9:34 AM   #16

Hi Norm

What makes me think that the E3 will potentially have a different sensor to the 410/510 is that Oly will most probaby have the Pro cam on a 2 year product cycle while the 410/510's will be upgraded every year. That would mean the IQ needs to be better than the 410/510 - more detail, less noise (although I think its very good with the current nMos) and better DR so that it will remain pretty competitive well into the second year of its life.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote