Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 28, 2007, 1:37 AM   #1

The specification to E-P1 has been leaked from the European Business Meeting
Market projections revised, up by 100k units
E-P1 sales Nov 07

World's most effective anti-shake system (Max 5 steps)
10MP High Speed Live MOS (5fps)
Live View with multi angle LCD
Dust Reduction (SSWF)
Splash proof body
Wireless flash control in 3 groups
AF performance
- Quickest and most accurate , worlds quickest with SWD lenses
- 11 AF points all cross sensor
- Better low light performance –[email protected]
- Better continuous AF

High Speed shooting capability
(5fps, 1/8000. X=1/250)
Big viewfinder image with 100% coverage
Bigger finder magnification (x1.15) with full coverage ratio (100%)
Live View Hyper Crystal LCD Swivel LCD

Worlds most effective AntiShake performance
Worlds quickest precise AF performance
Wireless Flash Control
New FL-36R and FL50R Infra Red Wireless Flash Systems
Can be controlled directly via E-P1
Infrared control via 3 groups is available

Accessories
Flash accessories
- Bounce adapter FLBA-1,
- Reflector adapter FLRA-1,
- Flash stand FLST-1
- Grip – 2 buttons / 2 dials
appears to take 2 BLM-1 plus AA battery holder AABH-1 or optional LBH-1
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2007, 4:58 AM   #2

Hi Riley

Where did you find that bit of info on the spec's and do we know if its accurate? I'm not sure on having all of the "Worlds" in that list but at least we know unoffically know the correct name and potentially the specs. From that list it seems to be sitting right between the D200/S5Pro's and the Canon 1D MK III. I'm looking forwrad to seeing what the final specs and build will look like.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 5:14 AM   #3

Here's a link to the pdf:

http://fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=14534

On page 24 - looks as if the E-P1 is offically the "E3" and from eth document its aimed squarely at the D200/30D and not the Canon 1D MKIII, so we're going to be looking at a similar price point - £1200 inc kit lens or around £800 for body only. Not sure on the IR wireless setup - radio would have been much better option. Interesting that the pdf is still using the same images of the prototype show at PMA, so no major change in design/ergonomics.

Another tidbit From the pdf, Oly are aiming to make an offical announcemnt within the next month, show the cam at Photokina in Oct and sales begin in Nov 2007.

I'm not sure if this is 100% for real but a lot of whats in the pdf would seem to be pretty logical. What's raised my suspicion is the inconsistent naming of the cam - E-P1 through the slides and then we have E3 shown on p.24, the system map fails to show the EP-1/E3, the battery pack shown on p.23 looks to be the E1's battery pack and not the one shown with the PMA model and also they have the E1 shown with the grip strap. Page 19 - the roadmap - A final R&D descision in June 2007, just seems really strange to leave final R&D changes so late in the game - unless its just firmware.

Cheers

HarjTT

Old Jun 28, 2007, 8:18 AM   #4

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
What's raised my suspicion is the inconsistent naming of the cam - E-P1 through the slides and then we have E3 shown on p.24, the system map fails to show the EP-1/E3, the battery pack shown on p.23 looks to be the E1's battery pack and not the one shown with the PMA model and also they have the E1 shown with the grip strap. Page 19 - the roadmap - A final R&D descision in June 2007, just seems really strange to leave make final R&D changes so late in the game - unless its just firmware.
It's typical of the "Dilbert" world...this document is prepared by marketers, not engineers, so there's lots of mistakes an engineer would catch like the wrong battery holder on p24, not to mention lots of spelling mistakes and gramatical errors...the creators were not native english speakers (you'd figure this document would be in Japanese, but I'll get to that thought).

The E-P1/E-3 issue, personally I believe it will be called the E-3, but in development has been given the name E-Prototype1 or E-Pro1, OR they created the chart to show what Olympus bodies were compatible with that diopter eyecup IN ADDITION to the E-P1 since that's what the presentation is about; there was talk about two different new bodies being release and two different prototypes on display at PMA.

Getting back to the document not being Japanese, I wonder if this document was PURPOSELY leaked to hear what (english speaking) Olympus users thought of it and what was said...on July 2nd they'd come back and hear the comments that were said in forums like this. I've done similar type research and presented results at meetings, so it's not that unusual (although I never leaked documents).

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:14 AM   #5

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Not sure on the IR wireless setup - radio would have been much better option.
I agree. Say you have a typical lighting situation of two slave flash units, one oneach side of the camera. Will the IR trigger them? Depends on where the transmitter is, on the camera, and where the sensors are located on the slaves. Radio would seem much better than line-of-sight.

Looking at the images of the camera body, am I correct in assuming we're seeing it with the aux battery pack attached?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:28 AM   #6

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
Looking at the images of the camera body, am I correct in assuming we're seeing it with the aux battery pack attached?
It's a two piece unit just like the E-1 and E-300 grips are, the battery grip is removable; it's shown as a separate unit on page 24 (although they accidently showed the E-1 battery grip instead of the new one). You can also see the thumbscrew to remove the battery grip on page 9.

It's definately NOT a one piece unit like the original Olydak prototype was before the E-1 came out, shown at Photokina in 2002:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0209/02...mpus43show.asp

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:53 AM   #7

Hi Mike

You could well be right about Oly having two different prototypes - one for 1D MKIII and the other pitched right at D200/30D market and what we're about to get from Oly is the one aimed at the semi-pro market. They do need a camera pitched at that semi-pro market which the E510 isn't aimed at. I wasn't too concerned about the grammar or spelling mistakes in the document as mine can be just as bad !

Regards the sensor whats the likelyhood that Pana developed another 10MP NMOS for the Pro cam's ? Primarily to give better DR, higher/cleaner ISO's for the pro camera's to help differentiate the ranges abit more from the E510 and further justify an upgrade to the E1+.

Thanks for that link - I hadn;t realised how close the final E1 was to the prototype shown at Photokina in 2002. As thats the case i'd assume that the final E3 will look very similar with may be a few minor external changes to the prototype body shown at PMA.

Cheers

Harj

Old Jun 28, 2007, 11:11 AM   #8

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Regards the sensor whats the likelyhood that Pana developed another 10MP NMOS for the Pro cam's ? Primarily to give better DR, higher/cleaner ISO's for the pro camera's to help differentiate the ranges abit more from the E510 and further justify an upgrade to the E1+.
Good question, Harj. Because I suspect the price jump from the E-510 will be significant.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 4:17 PM   #9

Hi ted

If the E-P1/E3 is aimed squarely at the D200/30D crowd then we're looking at around $1600USD for the body only which hopefully doesnt translate to £1600 but to the D200's current £900.

So we're looking at the E3 being double the price of the e510 twin lens kit .

Cheers

Harj

Old Jun 29, 2007, 2:54 AM   #10

hi guys
that info was mirrored around a few sites, but got pulled from Olympus site. One of the guys at FourThirdsPhoto forum got an early am call from Oly.de to get it off his server. I think its real enough because there are no big surprises, and the language stuff is similar to the sort of mistakes in manuals etc. But I dont think it was purposely leaked.

Harj I think there is just the one camera, they just havnt been careful in this presentation, which was originally a powerpoint display.

As to November launch arrrhhh, I dont want to wait that long ! Perhaps some images will come out before then so I can make some decisions about 510 or E-P1, there would need to be some bigger more compelling reasons for me to go beyond 510 as it stands.

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote