Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 1, 2007, 10:54 PM   #11

My tendancy is to use center weighted metering when using telephoto. I use ESP as I go toward wide angle and more variance in lighting appears in the viewfinder.

I also shoot raw and learn alot doing adjustments in the evening after a days shooting. The program(s) I use are free and the procedures are straight forward.

I'm not saying you have to shoot RAW, but the camera does have the option to same in both RAW & JPEG at the same time and if the JPEG turns out, you can delete the raw. If not, then an easy adjustment may lead to an awesome photo.

Have fun with the new cam.

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 11:36 PM   #12

fldspringer, it may come to my having to do that, but I hope not. I have a pretty busy life and enjoy outdoor hobbies when I get the time away from work, I'd hate to spend more time on the computer tweaking my photos. I know some folks just consider the photo "workload" part of the process of taking pictures, but for a lot more like myself that sure takes a lot of the fun out of it.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 9:29 AM   #13

Hi Troop

You just reminded me - the FZ's always over exposed by +1/3 to +1, well the FZ10/20/1/3 consistently did and I think my E1 does so as well, so I always underxpose by -1/3 and since switching to the E1 I alwyas shoot in RAW.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2007, 4:05 PM   #14

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Troop

You just reminded me - the FZ's always over exposed by +1/3 to +1, well the FZ10/20/1/3 consistently did and I think my E1 does so as well, so I always underxpose by -1/3 and since switching to the E1 I alwyas shoot in RAW.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
The E-500 does that in any other metering mode except the Digital ESP mode, where it does fine. And I did a LOT of testing to arrive at that conclusion...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 5:13 PM   #15

Phil Askey over at dpreview reviewed the Oly e410 and, in his conclusion said this:

"Default image quality is good, if not as crisp as the competition. However, if you play with the settings for a while, or more specifically turn Noise Filter off and set Sharpness to -2 (to compensate for the default high sharpening used to overcome the softening effect of the Noise Filter) you'll see that the camera is capturing just as much detail (if not more) than other ten megapixel digital SLRs, and that the lens is more than up to the job too."

The same applies to the e510 as well...seems to be working for me so far.

Others in the forums there have also suggested turning down the contrast

to help avoid blown highlights. Like you, I'm still learning the 510..so far I like it

a lot.
peterbatpbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 7:25 PM   #16

I think its gonna take a wee bit before we know the best settings for these new cams and it would be really cool, to have a mini 410/510 guide done by you guys and gals with the new cam's.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:32 PM   #17

HarjjTT, I agree, it needs to be done, but it will be a somewhat tedious and time consuming task. I have a very bright vase that I intend to photograph outdoors, at a distance that will allow an 800x600 pixel crop. Shoot in as many different combinations of settings as possible and pick the best image setting for sharpness, details, and color saturation.

The probelem is that there are SO many variable with this camera....

I am very curious if the "Picture" settings overlap. For instance is "natural" mode with +2 contrast and +2 sharpness and saturation the same as "Vivid" mode with -2 in all its settings?
Old Jul 7, 2007, 7:50 AM   #18

peterbatpbase wrote:
Quote:
Others in the forums there have also suggested turning down the contrast to help avoid blown highlights.
I'm one of the people who has made that recommendation, but I want to be clear about it -it is not an issue of a problem withthe Oly metering.It is an issue of the lighting contrast in most sun-lit situations, which typically has a luminance range greater than what is able to be captured by digital camera sensors (or any film for that matter).So in bright outdoor lighting conditions you'll get a better photo if you turn down the contrast, which we were never able to easily do with film cameras.

The good news is that the Oly DSLR menu system allows you to do that relatively easily. On Canon DSLRs you need to define a custom user setting first, and on Nikon DSLRs you have to do it with software(!). That's crazy.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 10:38 PM   #19

Still working on getting good, crisp shots out of the E-510 outdoors in bright sunshine. Please check this thread I posted on the 'other' forum, using the 50-200 lens with my new 510.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=23920822
Old Jul 7, 2007, 11:22 PM   #20

i love # 3 awesome shot!

how long have you had your 50-200mm.
i know it takes awhile to get used to it!
its an awesome lens!! its the only one i use!

i see you used a creative program and the aperture was 4.5 and you were at 200mm. try using (specially for sports)aperture mode, and keep it at its largest setting(f3.5 is larger than 4.5) you will get super sharp images and you will get a nice blurred background, as with #3 it may not be that blurred since the players are close to the background(grass and dirt) but you will get some! but still this is a great shot!

here is an example of the kids at soccer
Attached Images

airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote