Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 7, 2007, 1:10 AM   #1

I've had my E-500 for about a year now, and I'm really happy with it. I originally got the 14-45 and 40-150mm lenses, but sold those in favor of the 18-180mm so I don't have to carry an extra lens. For my requirements the 18-180 lens is perfect, and for the money I can't complain about the images I get from the lens. The only thing I dislike is the lack of a really wide angle, and not being able to afford a wide angle lens at the moment I'm wondering if there are any other options?

I used to have a Fuji S3000 for which I bought a wide angle lens attachment that screwed onto the filter threat in front of the lens, and the image quality really wasn't that bad. I've seen some similar wide angle lenses on eBay that say they will work on DSLRs but I'm not sure if the performance would be as good as on a P&S fixed lens camera like my old S3000. If anyone has tried or uses such an attachment I'd really appreciate any feedback on how they perform.

Thanks

Simon
simonknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2007, 2:54 PM   #2

Do NOT use this or any other add-on lens onto any dSLR lens, especially ones that extend like the Zuiko kit lenses (14(or17.5)-45 and 40-150).

Lenses like this are designed to be screwed into the body of the camera, not on to the end of the lens (on the C-700, this type of lens screws into a tube adapter which screws into the body of the camera, the add-on lens never even touches the C-700 lens).

I've once seen a Zuiko broken in half, so they can't take much weight. As well, add-on lenses will put a lot of weight and strain on the gear(s) and motor that drives the focusing of these lenses...I admit I have tried my Raynox converter lenses on my kit lenses, and the focus motor couldn't keep up to what was being requested of it by the camera.

The recommended teleconverter for the E-500 is the type which goes between the lens and body, like the Olympus EC-14 1.4x teleconverter (unfortunately there's never been a wide-angle converter that does this).

Next year Olympus is supposed to be announcing an new Ultra-Wide lens that might be in the 8-16mm range (range hasn't been announced yet), but that won't be until next year.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2007, 9:29 PM   #3

Mikes right on the ball regards the WAQ adapter and the new UW standard lens which according to Oly's 2007 lens roadmap is due in 2008. Here's the link ot the pdf:

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/im...ns_Roadmap.pdf

Cheers

harjTT

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 2:10 PM   #4

its unfortunate, but WA means money and its hard to avoid
OTOH, the 11-22 is a most excellent lens, in this frame the wallpaper will identify the slightest distortion, just the slightest barreling was removed for perfection.

Riley
Attached Images

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 2:16 PM   #5

sorry
dam thing double posted

Riley
Old Jul 12, 2007, 2:55 PM   #6

Hi Riley

Nice shot ! From everything I've seen the 11-22 is a real cracker of a lens but if the 12-60 is nearly as sharp will Oly discontinue it or do you think that the market will be big enough for the 12-60, 14-54 and the 11-22 plus two wide angles lenses to all exist ?

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 3:14 PM   #7

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Riley

Nice shot ! From everything I've seen the 11-22 is a real cracker of a lens but if the 12-60 is nearly as sharp will Oly discontinue it or do you think that the market will be big enough for the 12-60, 14-54 and the 11-22 plus two wide angles lenses to all exist ?

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
hi Harj
thats the $64 question i guess. I dont see much point dropping 11-22, for most purposes the 12-60 would be more useful particularly for weddings (a good direction for E-P1) and have faster AF. It makes an advantaged tighter kit with 50-200, its perhaps a bit like the relationship between 7-14 and the coming 8-?. Im sure they wont drop the 7-14.

For me, i need all the width i can get, but a new body is on the cards first, then i can exploit some ambient light interiors and save getting an FL-50 which i probably need sometimes like below. Thats a full 8 meters to the beginning of the kitchen, i was lucky the sun popped through the window to light it up.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 2:55 PM   #8

Rriley wrote:
Quote:
its unfortunate, but WA means money and its hard to avoid
OTOH, the 11-22 is a most excellent lens, in this frame the wallpaper will identify the slightest distortion, just the slightest barreling was removed for perfection.

Riley
I'm taking it that the 11-22 here is an Oly? Like you I take a lot of 'house' pics for the job and like you we get in some tight situations. I do like those room pics of yours though. I'm going to have to take a look at that lens for myself.

Got a couple of closings this month, might be able to convince the wifewe "need it for the job.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 4:42 PM   #9

While it's very possible that the 12-60mm lens might be nearly as sharp as the 11-22, it's nearly impossible that the 12-60 will be as free from distortion. As for what Olympus will do once the newer lenses are available, I suspect that the 14-54 is history, as this lens is basically completely redundant with the 12-60.

Fortunately, I already have my 11-22, and I don't need one single lens to cover nearly everything, so I'm personally not too worried.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2007, 1:19 PM   #10

Not to repeat what Mikefellh said, but I did make the mistake of buying those add-on lens adapters that thread onto the end of the barrel. The macro add-on was minimally useful, the 2x telezoom was completely useless with my 40-150 (totally clouded up the image) and the .45 wide angle, although it did provide some extra coverage, it was at the expense of having the barrel edge in the image which was a complete annoyance.

I "accidentally" won the 8mm fish eye in an eBay auction, which provides amazing coverage, of course at the expense of great distortion. I suspect if you're looking for wide angle for business uses like real estate, that won't help but it does provide for some very interesting and artistic shots.
cristovao12 is offline   Reply With Quote