Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 7, 2007, 9:22 PM   #1

What colour space should you shoot in, sRGB or Adobes RGB ? I know the Adobe RGB has a slightly larger colour gamut compared to sRGB but I'm a wee bit confused which one to stick with ? I've read a little bit into this and know how important colour calibration is but there some conflicting advise on the subject - if its web only, then sRGB is fine, etc etc. Any help in clearing this up would be really cool.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2007, 9:50 PM   #2

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
What colour space should you shoot in, sRGB or Adobes RGB ? I know the Adobe RGB has a slightly larger colour gamut compared to sRGB
Wider in theory, but not in practice...this must be one of those myths spurned on by the influence of the internet...a few "experts" post their opinion and soon everyone is claiming it as gospel.

To me since AdobeRGB has dead reds and violets it makes it narrower, compared to the vivid colours at that end of the sRGB gamut. To me using AdobeRGB is detrimental to Olympus' unique colour brilliance; I tried setting the E-300 to AdobeRGB for a while but the pictures looked awful and as will since I didn't use Adobe software for my image editing it was silly to use aRGB.

Check out this article by Ken Rockwell, and the reasons why I use sRGB:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/adobe-rgb.htm

Just to give you a taste of what is said in case you don't feel like clicking the link, "sRGB is the world's default color space. Use it and everything looks great everywhere, all the time. Adobe RGB should never be used unless you really know what you're doing and do all your printing yourself. If you really know what you're doing and working in publishing, go right ahead and use it. If you have to ask, don't even try it."
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 4:52 AM   #3

Hi Mike

Thanks for the advise on this as it had been bugging me a wee bit even though there was a pretty good thread over at Dgrin regards using sRGB. I've stuck with sRGB, esp as that is the default colour space for Lightzone and wanted to know what others in the forum were using becuase without calibrating everything to Adobe RGB how you would know what the final print would look like ?

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote