Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 7, 2007, 9:34 PM   #1

I may be seeing things but from images of the new 50-200SWD, I'm beginning to think that it's going to be smaller than the current model. I've only noticed it recently, so I could well be wrong but if I'm not and the lens is as sharp as the current model then I think Oly have done a really well and I'll be a happy bunny too.

Check out the new lens road map and the difference between the two lenses stands out. Not the best of comparisons - but the new SWD version looks a wee bit stubbier, although that could well be due to the location of the tripod mount. It also looks like a smaller version of the 35-100 F2, which I think is a good thing, just hope they've managed to reduce the weight a wee bit.

Current 50-200mm ED

On another note parkscamera (UK) has the new lens already listed for sale but just no price and its shown to have been due in Spring 2007, so I'm wonderign why the delay ?

http://www.parkcameras.com/ProductDe...8-4308403ba666

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2007, 11:37 PM   #2

i think its just a case of Oly hanging on to total control of releases
a bit like the E-P1 pdf that got out recently
they cleaned up as many avenues for distribution as they could by contacting site owners and sking for it to be removed.

the lens should probably appear in September with the 12-60
it does look very different doesnt it

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 5:54 AM   #3

When I first saw the new lens, I just thought it was exactly the same but with an SWD motor but from the external design, it could well be a new lens completely. The new lens definetly looks like a mini 35-100F2. Here's both lenses side by side.

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote