Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 8, 2007, 6:07 PM   #1

I went to my first ever airshow today - to the IMW Airshow at Duxford Airbase, not too far from home, just a 40 mins drive. Lots of people at the Airshow and a huge number of photographers - I've never seen soo many Canon L glass and Nikon D200's before!

Here's a few shots from the E1 + 135mm f3.5 OM Zukio and the 14-54Zd. I took just under 4GB of shots, which was shocking. I've only processed a few so far , but from what i can tell the E1 and the two lenses did pretty good, esp eh 135mm. I really wish Oly would issue a firmware update to allow manual focus lenses to give some kind of focus comfirmation - my friends L1 does it right of the box with all lenses so I don;t know why Oly haven;t done so. The other lesson learnt was - need more reach !!

Here's the gallery ( a lot more to push through CS3):

http://HarjTT.smugmug.com/gallery/3119867/1/170873362

1. Taxing - North American B25 - Mitchell and a B17G preparing to take off

2. B17G - fly past

3. Big Baby Doll - P51D USAAF

4. Last one - the crowds. Taken with the 14-54ZD

Cheers

harjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2007, 6:45 PM   #2

hi harj!!

awesome work! i really love your style, it gives a great feeling!
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 7:02 AM   #3

Hi John

Thanks for the comments mate on the pic's. I'm very happy with the 135f3.5 OM Zukio and the E1, although a lens like the 50-200 would have been really cool. I've added a few more pics since yesterday.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
Old Jul 10, 2007, 9:33 PM   #4

hi harj,

that is amazing that your pictures are with an OM lens! i would also love to see your e-1 with the 50-200mm!! since i am new to photography i may be mistaken but to me it seems the e-1 take a rich looking picture, like color, and quality, i don't know the correct words, but the e-1's pictures just seem better to me! and again, awesome work!! john
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 12:07 AM   #5

Great shot of the P51, I love that airplane.
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 6:52 AM   #6

Hi Troop & John

Troop, the P51D was my favorite plane as a kid and still is - after 50yeras it still looks just perfect and that RR Merlin engine just sounds wonderful. If I could fly and have any plane it would be the P51D.

John thanks for the compliment on the pics from the E1 - I'm really happy with the old OM lens. The only negatives it has is it doesn't balance well with the E1 - unlike the 14-54 ZD ad E1 which just feel perfect. I'm looking at getting the 50-200 but am goign to wait a wee bit before I do.

Cheers

Harj
Old Jul 11, 2007, 11:44 AM   #7

trooplewis wrote:
Quote:
Great shot of the P51, I love that airplane.

And it's very appropriate that it was flying in an airshow in England - that was its home. Before it wentintoproduction, there weren't any fighters (British or US) that could supply air support to the bombers flying from England over to Germany and back, so the bombers squadrons were taking huge losses. After the P51 flew, it was the end of WW2.

BUT, although it was arguably the best prop fighter ever made, it was a very over-powered plane and a real bear to learn to fly (just in case Harj and everyone else wants to learn to fly it <grin>. And without a doubt the most beautiful prop fighter ever made (with apologies to the Spitfighter fans).

The later production models ultimately had a top speed of 487 knots. Modern jet passenger aircraft cruise at around 520 knots, or Mach 0.8. Amazing fora prop plane...

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 3:21 PM   #8

Harj,

awsome pictures, I like the last wideangle with the people most. I also have some OM-Zuikos, some are very good. Keep on the good work,

Martin
barann is offline   Reply With Quote