Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 22, 2007, 6:49 PM   #1

I'm interested in the E510 but the answers could come from other Oly camera owners as well.

Situation: A person is standing to one side of the frame with a white water fountain in the background taking up 2/3 of the frame.

If center spot is used and it is placed on the subject's face, I assume the camera will set "both" the focus and exposure for the face. Pressing the shutter half way downlocks both focus and exposure and then the camera is re-composed to show the fountain too.

But now the white marble elements of the fountainare blown out. I could set the center spot on the blown out part of the fountain to get the proper exposure but then the person's face will not be in perfect focus.

What's the proper way to shoot this using an E510 or similar camera?
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2007, 7:07 PM   #2

(This is from memory, I haven't done it in a while and I don't have my camera in front of me to try it.)

This might work differnently on the newer cameras, but on my E-300 what I'd do is half press the shutter to lock the focus, recompose, and then tap the AEL button to do the exposure.

Yes that's different from what I discribed in the manual which is compose your scene, HOLD down the AEL button, centre your subject and half press the shutter (while still holding the AEL button down), and then recompose again and take your picture. Personally with that method I'm putting too much strain on the AEL button, and my way is less work (but like I said they've changed the AEL function since the E-300).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:17 PM   #3

I have the E-1 and E-300, not E-510, so procedures may be somewhat different, but you should be able to program the AEL button to perform either exposure lock or focus lock. In the former case, you would compose the scene as desired and press he AEL button, then move the camera so the center spot is on the subject, half-press the shutter to focus, and while holding the shutter half-pressed, recompose and fully press the shutter. I'd probably use the right focus mark in this case, tho, just to reduce the danger of focus shift due to lens characteristics when recomposing.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 1:22 PM   #4

Norm in Fujino wrote:
Quote:
I have the E-1 and E-300, not E-510, so procedures may be somewhat different, but you should be able to program the AEL button to perform either exposure lock or focus lock. In the former case, you would compose the scene as desired and press he AEL button, then move the camera so the center spot is on the subject, half-press the shutter to focus, and while holding the shutter half-pressed, recompose and fully press the shutter. I'd probably use the right focus mark in this case, tho, just to reduce the danger of focus shift due to lens characteristics when recomposing.

Mike and Norm, thanks for your replies.

In the former case, if center spot metering is setup, should I compose the scene as desired or put the center spot on the brightest part of the fountain and then press the AEL button? I'm also concerned for other scenes where there might be a smaller white subject like a white dog which might be in the bottom third of the scene.

IOW, is the AEL doing an "overall scene average" exposure calculation or a "brightest spot under the center spot" calculation?

Thanks, Skylark

skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2007, 10:42 PM   #5

I cheat. When I'm in a situation like that where I have to shoot fast and don't have a lot of time to button-press I use the full-frame metering (refered to as averaging back in the day) and compensate with the "Fill-Flash" adjustment in Corel Paint Shop PRO-X. Yeah, I know it's an end-around with the software, but it works.

stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote