Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 23, 2007, 3:30 AM   #1

hi here are my first few shots using my new e 510. this is my first dslr and i must admit its going to take a while to get used to. hope you like them

napper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2007, 3:32 AM   #2

napper-

i am awaiting delivery of my first dslr (the e-510 also). your shots look tremendous. i was wondering how much adjusting of settings you were doing or were you in full auto mode?
alleyooptroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 4:22 PM   #3

Hi alleyooptroop bet your looking forwards to your e510 coming.

With regard to your question as far as I can remember, (i'm away from home at the moment so I can't check) the onlysettings I changed on the camera was to turn the noise reduction onto low. I was using aperture mode to take the shots.

many people feel that one should turn off noise filter as well as using the low setting for the noise reduction, but as far as I can see, the noise filter only operates on long exposure times and does not operate at all with the camera set to continuous mode, which is where I normally have it set.

One of the things that I have had to learn with this camera is to use the ev compensation control to adjust the light levels, there is a tendency to blow highlights until one gets used to it.

I'm having a great time with this camera and I hope you do to
napper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 3:11 AM   #4
OCD

Thecommon settings people seem to be using at 100/200 ISOwhen looking across many forums are noise filter 'OFF' and sharpening 'OFF/LOW'. Noise reduction is left 'ON' because it only applies when long exposures are made, so doesn't have an effect on most photo's, and you would tend to need it then anyway. Any sharpening and noise reduction can be best done in post processing if you have the time (some people are 'very' busy).

Regarding your exposures, I agree that you may need to underexpose a fraction, or get more used to locking the metering on a suitableaverage area of the scenefirst, but what a lot of people are also finding is that the default camerametering 'ESP+AF' isn't necessarily the best choice. So you could try the 'ESP' only option, or centre weighted. Both work better than 'ESP+AF' IMO.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote