Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 23, 2007, 8:51 PM   #1

Hi all as you can guess i'm quite new to dslr cameras (used Canon S3 before) I took some shots the other day in strong daylight and although quite happy with the general outcome, I found it difficult to raise the light levels on the face, so they appear dark. Any suggestions as to how I go about getting fill in flash to work to solve this problem, or any other work arounds. I have attached a couple of shots to show the problem. I have the olympusFL 36 flash unit, but cant make out how to get it to do fill in flash (bit slow me). Thanks for your help.

napper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:31 AM   #2

Assuming you're using the E-510 from the data embeeded in your images (it always helps to mention what camera you're using for this type of question)...turn to page 40 of the E-510 manual, and there it tells you what symbol you should see for the fill-in flash mode on the camera (the camera will tell the FL-36 what to do).

Also you'll have to set the FL-36 to FP-TTL mode (so you can shoot at faster shutter speeds needed in daylight)...see page 29 of the FL-36 manual...push the MODE button until FP TTL AUTO appears on the flash.

Both the setting on the flash and camera have to be set back to normal for indoor shooting again.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 1:32 AM   #3

Thanks Mikefellh just re read the manual for some reason in mine it is on pages 32 -34 and thanks to your comment i now understand the chart in the manual. I was using FP-TTL mode but in one place the Camera manual tells me to refer to the flash gun manual and the flash manual just tells me what modes are available not how to get to them! soiwas going round in circles.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:15 AM   #4
OCD

Yes the manuals are printed differently between the USA/Canada and the UK so the page numbers don't match.

A quick default option is to set the FL-36flash to FP-TTL and use shutter priority to get the speed you want, leaving the aperture and flash to sort the rest out between them.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:52 PM   #5

I admit I don't have a paper copy of the E-510 manual (since I don't own the E-510)...I've downloaded all the manuals from Olympus.

The benefit of having them on the computer (in a MANUAL subdirectory) is I can quickly find them, and I can use Acrobat's FIND feature to quickly locate things I'm looking for (rather than wasting time going through the contents listing).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 2:29 PM   #6

set the flash options
ILL=A
CLP=ON
Zoom=4/3
Light intensity adjustment ON

set camera up as follows
set flash mode to fill flash (p 103)
set metering to ESP (p68 )
set exposure to program (p57)
set white balance to AUTO (p87-88 )
set iso to AUTO (p83)
no exposure compensation

mount flash on hotshoe
turn camera on, then flash
set flash to FP TTL Auto mode
no exposure compensation on the flash

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2007, 6:18 AM   #7

Thanks to to all of you for the replies I'm starting to get a grip on the camera now. Took some shots yesterday using your tips and there was much inprovement especially taking the metering off avand leaving it on ESP. I have now got to try tinkering with the focus mode as having read on a few occaisions that it is often best to use centre weighted or spot rather than auto, so this will be my next bit of the learning curve.

Ihave got to say i was a little bitworried and a bit disapointed looking at my first results but now having started to tame the beast I am really starting to enjoy the 510's abilities. Over exposure is something that has happened on several occaisions however after reading other threads on this great forum and getting used to using the exposure control a lot more than I was used to and using bracketing this is now a diminishing problem. I guess also that by using Spot or centre weighted focus this will also improve the over/underexposure problems.