Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 12, 2007, 6:10 AM   #1

Completely missed Steve's review of the E510 -

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/e510.html

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2007, 9:14 AM   #2

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Completely missed Steve's review of the E510 -

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/e510.html

Cheers

HarjTT

As others have noted, it would have been nice to have had more detail on the high-ISO performance.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 3:22 PM   #3

Hi everyone:

Check out the detailed test at Popular Photogaphy magazine. They rated the high ISO as excellent.

Excellent image quality in RAW photos from ISO 100 to 1600.
http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4380...pus-e-510.html

Attached Images

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 8:14 AM   #4

Here's another review of the 510 over at imaging-resource:

Quote:

"It's the E-510's special features that push it over the top. Live View mode, while easily misunderstood, is actually quite useful so long as you know its limitations. Shoot with it all the time, and you'll find you miss a lot of important shots due to increased and unpredictable shutter lag; but use it properly, and you'll get a lot of shots you'd have otherwise missed. The same holds true for the E-510's sensor-shift image stabilization. Learn where and when it works, and take several backup shots, and you'll get pretty good results; certainly better than you would without it. Add the ability to manually focus on a 10x zoomed area via Live View, and the E-510 is clearly a great solution for the experienced photographer wanting a closer look at what he's about to capture. Despite its foibles, the Olympus E-510 is a very good digital SLR, one I'd recommend to photographers who want to travel light, anyone with a need for Live View on occasion, and anyone wanting to learn more about photography with a digital SLR. Add it all up, and the Olympus E-510 is worthy of a Dave's Pick. "

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E510/E510A.HTM

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 8:39 AM   #5

hey Harj
it really is a very good camera with a fabulous featurelist, but it does have just a few weaknesses that i do wish would be cleared up

the things 510 gets hammered for on forums are:
1/ the DR tests that are getting around, while suggestions say the tests are not right

2/ the default settings for NF, that probably should be set to LOW or even OFF

3/ add the mixed feelings that iso1600 is really iso1250, and the nature of the beast not to meter correctly being either underexposed or blown highlights

Riley

PS: E3 cant be far off now, i cant wait to see what all this secrecy is about
and then there is that Panasonic to come before that somewhere
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:31 AM   #6

A quick question for you E510 gurus. :-)

Does it auto focus in the Live Preview mode. I seem to recall the 330 didn't.

What are the pros and cons of the 510's Live preview?

Thanks - Mercury
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:24 AM   #7
OCD

Rriley wrote:
Quote:
, but it does have just a few weaknesses that i do wish would be cleared up

the things 510 gets hammered for on forums are:
1/ the DR tests that are getting around, while suggestions say the tests are not right

2/ the default settings for NF, that probably should be set to LOW or even OFF

3/ add the mixed feelings that iso1600 is really iso1250, and the nature of the beast not to meter correctly being either underexposed or blown highlights

I think they are perhaps initial weaknesses for the experienced photographer, but equally the experienced photographer will know how to easily adjust things to overcome them.

The default settings on the E510 are aimed squarely at getting a picturefor an inexperienced photographer, and are weighted (IMO) more towards the P&S market than what a good amateur DSLR should be producing. But what do Olympus do if that crossover market is the one they want to capture early on, before Canon and Nikon bag them?

The DR is not a problem in itself, just that the metering default is set to give good shadow detail and let the highlights take care of themselves, so Aunt Maureen's face is properly exposed under her wide brimmed hat in the wedding pictures. Most snappers wouldn't even notice where the highlights had blown, but the default ensures what is usually important is exposed properly. Likewise the Noise Filter. In default it saps what could be ultimateimage quality, but does a great job for the 5x7 pictures 'most' people want.

But these parameters are easily changed and improved for an experienced photographer, who time permitting, can also use post processing and RAW conversion for attaining the very best imagine quality,and very good DR, that the camera is capable of. So I guess the difficulty comes when the reviewers 'only' use the default settings and don't delve any deeper into the menu of possibilities. And this problem is compounded by amateur photographers who should look beyond what is being 'simply' reported in a review, butdo tend tostare at the basic findings like a rabbit caught in the headlights.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 6:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Does it auto focus in the Live Preview mode. I seem to recall the 330 didn't.
Yes it does. The E-330 does as well (if you upgrade the firmware).

Quote:
What are the pros and cons of the 510's Live preview?
Biggest con is it's slow. It focuses by dropping the mirror down and then flipping it up again. So it's not good for anything like action, or continuous shooting, or anytime you don't want shutter lag. Really it's not meant to be used like a point and shoot as a substitute for the SLR viewfinder; any time you can easily use the regular viewfinder, you're better off using that. Other cons, it can be hard to use the LCD in bright sunlight, and unlike the 330 it's not a tilt screen.

Pros, in adition to autofocus and metering, and accurate depth of field, the new models also give accurate white balance and exposure compensation preview. There's also a live histogram, so you don't ned to take a test shot to check the histogram for exposure. The live view is especially useful for any kind of tripod work, in addition to for shots from unusual angles where using the viewfinder would be difficult. On the tripod, it's easier than looking through a viewfinder, and the ability to zoom in 7x or 10x is ideal for highly accurate manual focusing. Very useful for macro shooting.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2007, 3:09 PM   #9

Thanks for the info. I don't think I want to go the Olympus Live preview route just yet. I'm spoiled . I want Live preview to work as well as my bridge cameras.

How is the new Nikon's D300 two methods of Live Preview different/same as the 510? The writup beloe is confusing. It sounds like both ways are still slow. :?

"Nion D300: UDMA CF support and last but not least the super-impressive 3.0" 922,000 pixel LCD monitor with Live View. No ordinary Live View either as this one supports Auto Focus in two ways; using the current 'normal' mirror-drop / mirror-raise but also contrast detect in the same way as a compact camera (although slower)"

Thanks again. I apprecite the help- Mercury
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote