Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 16, 2003, 11:57 AM   #1
Waz

Default Telephoto Lens for E10/E20

Hi all, I am contemplating of getting the TCON-14B for my E20.
But came across a couple of telephoto lens in eBay for the E20 which is not Olympus and has magnification of 2x (as oppose to the Oly 1.45).

How good are these lens? They are much smaller than the TCON-14B. And almost half the price.

Any feedback or experience?

Waz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2003, 8:26 PM   #2

Does this lens have a 62mm thread to mount it to the front of your E-20? If not, you'll have vignetting, meaning darkening of the corners due to the smaller opening of the add-on lens. That I know of only Oly makes these add-on lenses with 62mm threads (Sony had some for their D770 which used 62mm threads, and I believe another company made fish-eye add-on lenses for the E-10/20, but these still had some vignetting). Perhaps this smaller 2x lens you mentioned is called 300B or B300, I forget now. Olympus no longer produces those, and a few years ago there were hords of people looking to buy them Anyway, the TCON-14B was of excellent quality, images were crisp, and there was just a tad of play with the zoom before vignetting set in.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2003, 10:12 PM   #3
Waz

Hi there,

I attached a link with photo as advertised in ebay. yes, its 62mm.
They are not Olympus. No brand mentioned

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=29994
Waz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 12:16 PM   #4

At $78 it seems like a cheap alternative, but I would be skeptical of its sharpness around the corners, and also worry about vignetting even at the 140mm zoom position. It's not terribly expensive, maybe you could give it a try.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote