Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 24, 2007, 12:10 AM   #1

Hello Everyone! I am new here. I bought my first SLR camera in April of this year, the Evolt 500...

Before my purchase I used a Fujifilm S3100, and I LOVE that camera, and still refuse to part with it, even though it's been sitting in it's box for month!

Ihaven't had a whole lot of time to sit down and play with all the different settings. And with the weather being so hot and humid lately, it's hard to get out and get pictures <I have a 10 1/2 month who goes everywhere with me so I have to think of her first>.

My favorite hobby is going to the local horse track when they race<spring/fall>, and when they have sales. I love watching the horses, and also taking pictures of them. I'd like to do it eventually, on a more professional level.

My problem is, I just don't really know what settings I should be using. I usually just stick with 'auto'. But I know I could do better! What I really need advice on right now is shooting outdoors especially this time of year.

There is a major horse sale in 2 weeks. Ialmost got a job taking pictures for a buyer, who wants to keep me in reference for the next two sales that will take place this fall.

I am needing advice on what settings everyone might recommend for using early in the mornings on hot muggy September days? If it's sunny, I tend to see more shadows, and if the horses have white, especially on their legs, they are really bright. Or if it's really cloudy out, the pictures look so dark. I know there isn't much you can do with the dark pictures, but a good setting idea for me to try would be greatly appreciated.

I was wondering if anyone here recommends the 70 minute dvd that Olympus has for this camera? I didn't even realize they had one until a few days ago, and I was considering ordering it next week.

Also, I am a little lost on what settings I should be using to save my pictures. I need them to be able to print 8x10 if possible.

Right now it's set on HQ, noise reduction is ON, ISO is on Auto. AF Mode is S-AF, The WB BKT, AE BKT, FL BKT, and Anti Shock are allOFF.

ISO Step: 1/3 EV, ISO Boost*ON*, ISO Limit *OFF*, EV Step 1/3EV, X-SYNC 1/60, HQ 1/4, SQ 3200x2400 1/2.7, Manual Flash is*ON*,

What is a good setting for the monitor brightness? It is set at +4 on mine. Priority set: No. Color Space: sRGB. Shading Comp: Off. Button Timer: Hold.

I don't know if that helps a whole lot, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest some changes.

Sorry I am such a mess! I just don't know anyone that can help me learn.

If anyone is interested, here are some pictures I took a few days after I got my camera:

http://www.finalturngallery.com/g2/v...l+2+year+olds/

I currently have PhotImpression 5, and Photo Explosion SE, but I am getting Photoshop within the next few days. I have never used Photoshop, so I am just overly excited to get it and try it out!

I am attaching a portrait I did of my daughter...This is a smaller file, so if it looks a little fuzzy I apologize.

Attached Images

HoosierShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2007, 5:58 AM   #2

Check out this link. This and your manuel will give you plenty to work with. It also helps just to get out and experiment by taking lot's of pictures.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/index.html
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:45 AM   #3

Thank You for the web site! Anything to help me understand is appreciated

I have been playing with the camera a lot indoors, but definitely need to get outside. Tomorrow I'm taking my kids to the horse park for their annual celebration of the horse industry <we live in Central Kentucky-also known as horse capitol of the world!>. So I can't wait to get some pictures!
Old Aug 24, 2007, 3:30 PM   #4

if you are going to do sports. you are going to need a fast lens, if you have the 40-150mm 3.5-4.5 you can use that for now to get used to the camera, read as much as you can about it. also visit the sports section here, i have learned a great deal from some folks who visit that section. i have a 500 also, for sports set your sharpness as much as it will go, use aperture mode, now if you want to stop the motionkeep it atits biggest setting (smallest #)and unless you are shooting face on, you will have to pan along as the horses go by, and take your picture. you'll get the hang of it! i bought the 50-200mm 2.8-3.5 lens and believe me it takes awile to get used to but it is worth the $829 price tag! now if you want, you can dial back the aperture and it will slow your shutter speed but panning is very important, use center focus, and in this case focus on the horse's, or the jockey's head, and everything else will have blurr. the best shutter speed is around 125 and faster, but try different speeds to see what you get. the more you shoot the better you will become! good luck, john

here is an example:
Attached Images

airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 9:42 PM   #5

John,

Thank You so much! I appreciate your help! Yes, I definitely will have to get a better lens for photographing racing. That is something I'd love to do! I need to learn about the lenses most definitely. It will take me a little time to save up the $$ for a good lens, but in the meantime I hope I can get lots of practice in.

Here are a couple of pictures I took on a late April morning around 10am. I don't have them on my computer right now, but here is the link:

http://www.finalturngallery.com/g2/v...berg7.jpg.html

http://www.finalturngallery.com/g2/v...erg10.jpg.html

Those are the best 2 action shots I've managed to get so far. They were edited on photo expressions. I recently received photoshop so now I have a much better program to work with!

http://www.finalturngallery.com/g2/v...ches2.jpg.html

This is a picture I was disappointed with. I wanted so badly to get a really good picture of these two horses. On the rail is Rags to Riches, and the outside horse is Circular Quay. Rags to Riches is the best 3 year old filly in the country. This was her last workout before she won the Kentucky Oaks the first Friday of May. I was hoping for some really good shots. But I think the weather played a huge part in it, it was very early, it was cloudy, and dark out. I am thankful that I got pictures though! But just wish they looked better.

Old Aug 25, 2007, 9:44 AM   #6

man those are awesome shots!! the one pic you are talking about is really good, it is a little blurry, and it seems like you were panning, i can't see the exif in your pictures so i don't know what the settings were, if it was that cloudy you could have bumped the your iso to around 400 and the shutter would have been faster, i'm just guessing. but, still awesome shots!

you must have a connection to so close! i used to be a groom, and then a blacksmith, i love the track! but here, its kinda tough to get in during the work outs.
airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote