Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 15, 2007, 1:00 PM   #11

I was just wondering if there would be any gain on IS bodies for this lens
Purely academic now that I have used the 25mm more often. It is amazing what I can get from low light situations now. I was thinking the L1 is just a one issue body.. and if I were to buy a higher megapixel camera or one with the newest technology, should I consider, down the road, the Oly?
Since you use the Oly body, you would know... and if you have this lens, do you turn off IS when using it?
The cat was part of the learning curve I am going through with the lens.
I did have it at the 1.4 and 2.0 but that was due in part to the lighting and window in the background. Cat is just so funny, runs when she sees the collar now
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 6:51 AM   #12

Hi Tom

Regards shorter focal lengths and IS, I remember reading an article from PAnaLeica's engineers stating that the reason why the 25mm f1.4 Leica D didn;t have OIS was that at that short/wide focal lengths and faster apertures esp f1.4 it doesn;t provide as much benefit as at longer focal lengths. From all the pics I have seen from the Leica D 25mm it is superb and I'm looking forward to seeing how good the 14-150 and the 45mm F2 OIS Leica D's will be.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 8:09 AM   #13

tommccarty wrote:
Quote:
I was just wondering if there would be any gain on IS bodies for this lens
....Since you use the Oly body, you would know... and if you have this lens, do you turn off IS when using it?
Hi, Tom

I have the E-500 which doesn't have IS. But you might want to get the just-published October issue of Popular Photography,which has an article wherein they present results of comparing in-body IS versus in-lens IS for a fewcamera bodies (including the E-510) versus a number of IS lenses. They found that the E-510 provided a 2 to 2.5 stop improvementwitha200mm lens, and less at shorter focal lengths. (The in-lens IS improvement typically was 2 to 3 stops with a few exceptions, so the in-lens systems on average really aren't that much more effective despite popular belief. But they definitelyend up being more expensive if you buy a few IS lenses.)

Anotherthing I foundinteresting is that PopPhoto apparently didn't come up with a way to do a repeatable lab test for this - they averaged the experience of a number of photographers (they didn't actually state this, just implied it in one of the paragraphs). I supposea vibrating table test just doesn't exist.

So depending on how steady you hold your camera, I'm wildly guessing you might expect to see a 1.5 stop improvement with that 25mm lens on an E-510. I'm not sure that's worth spending $800 for, unless you have other reasons to want the E-510.

Amigo Ted

PS: that issue of PopPhoto also has a test of your Leica 25mm lens - they really loved it.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 3:44 PM   #14

Thanks for the responses.. just as I expected you guys have the answers

In fact, since I posted the first line, I have read Pop's articles and also found similar remarks and reviews on the "1001 Noisy Cameras!" blog or web site..

I wish this forum was more populated.. seems to have lost members
Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:58 PM   #15

tommccarty wrote:
Quote:
I wish this forum was more populated.. seems to have lost members
Well if you want to immerse yourself in an active discussion site, to the point that most subjects are flogged beyond the point of death, sign up for dpreview.com's forums. There you will find endless speculation about new products; I think this forum's members prefer to avoid the old tale about greek philosophers arguing about the number of teeth a horse has, rather than looking to see (or in this case, waiting for more official pronouncements from the manufacturer) <grin>.

Ted
Old Sep 17, 2007, 8:22 PM   #16

Oh, I know DP is a ragged bunch or naysayers and goofblls asking which is the best camera or I hate Nikon, or I am thinking of getting the G5 or the Fx10, which is better... even to this guy is a jerk in ...

yeah, but there are a few guys there I do speak with... and none like here.. Steves has options I like a lot, just no L1 users posting.. so I just go over there and look for the ideas.. One guy Juno Sacks is just great with leica.. he posts awesome pictures and more, but he stays away a lot
Old Sep 20, 2007, 4:44 PM   #17

Well, as a DPReview person, I would hate to see this terrific forum get into issues of which is the best site, although I do know what you're talking about.
And I'm enjoying this thread.

I'm paying close attention to all the slowly emerging data as I try to decide between the L10 and the E-3. It will probably be an easy call for those who are already committed to each system or who are professionals in need of a top of the line weather sealed true pro body. But as a high end amateur with no investment in either system I'm just trying to be patient and enjoying picking up the occasional "dropping" of real info on each camera.

Thanks.

Mark
markpsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2007, 6:57 PM   #18

markpsf wrote:
Quote:
Well, as a DPReview person, I would hate to see this terrific forum get into issues of which is the best site
Hi, Mark

I had absolutely NO intention about raising issues about what is the "best" forum - that's as difficult to predict for any one person as what is the "best" color <grin>. I was just noting that the members of this forum (at least in the Oly and Panaleica threads) are more circumspect about predicting what Oly will do without any actual information from Oly, and that I personally value that circumspection.

Ted

Old Sep 21, 2007, 8:36 AM   #19

Yes, Mark, you have to know that the other guys on this thread also email in regular manner
We are kinda friends in that way. And most likely are members of both.. the traffic has slowed here and I was just showing a bit of dissatisfaction, not complaining.. actually I am trying to get some of the guys from one of the other forums to come here.. and I go over to a couple of different forums at times, and they are lively but as Ted states, there is a lot of off the wall discussions going on and thread busting, trolling etc... makes it kind of fun, but I would rather deal with this forum... it has features like the thread reminder... keeps you on top of world wide discusssions.

On other forums, you can post more pic's by linking to say photobucket
and the guys like to show a multiple series at times for feed back
Spelling??? glasses are foggy this am

Goods site abound, but hey, I like this one too
Old Sep 21, 2007, 12:27 PM   #20

Thanks to both of you guys for clarifying.
I like the tone of this site and this thread and plan to stay tuned.
I probably won't have much to offer though until after the 17th,
as more info begins to fall into place on both cameras.

Mark
markpsf is offline   Reply With Quote