Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 24, 2007, 4:43 PM   #1

Some old and some new news. A couple of weeks ago Oly updated its page on the design and development of the E-system and specifically the E3. Now that Canon and Nikon have released the specs of the 40D/D300 (from the previews both very good with the 300D on paper seems to be impressive), Oly should at least release more information on the E3 as the competition have shown their hand and that to let all know that the E3 will be able to on paper hold its own.

From PanaLeica, this week saw the first images of the entry level DSLR, the DMC L10 which was supposed to have been released last month and paired up with a new 14-50mm kit lens. This 14-50mm is definetaly not the 14-50mm F2.8-3.5mm elmarit, although personally i had thought the 14-150 would have been the kit lens. What the spec of the new cam is anybodys guess but its interesting times ahead in the next few months.

Here's the link to Oly's E- System /E3 site:

http://www.olympus-esystem.com/dea/s...ion/index.html

Some images from the site:

1. Silver E3

2. Old and New

3. A Black E3

PanaLeica's DMC L10 and new Leica D 14-50 kit:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=24484128

As somepeople over at dp have commented the L10 seems to look similar to the E3 - esp the OVF and positioning of the tilt/swivel LCD but the L10 is definetly the new entry level with the Panaleica Pro not appearing until sometime next year.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2007, 3:06 AM   #2
OCD

Very interesting about the PanLeica. Maybe this will be the true jumping off point for Oly and Panasonic and Leica to start quicklyleapfrogging each other on development. Itcould be good for 4/3rds IMO.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 5:12 AM   #3

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Some old and some new news. A couple of weeks ago Oly updated its page on the design and development of the E-system and specifically the E3. Now that Canon and Nikon have released the specs of the D40/300D (from the previews both very good with the 300D on paper seems to be impressive), Oly should at least release more information on the E3 as the competition have shown their hand and that to let all know that the E3 will be able to on paper hold its own.
Hi, Harj

I was inmy localphotography store yesterday and theynoted that traditionally the manufacturers will announce the release date of a new model right around now if the model will be available before Christmas. They think that if Oly doesn't announce the availability date of the E-3 before mid-September it may well not be available until next spring which is the traditional time for new models to be released. But they also opinedthat Oly has been unusually quiet about the E-3 because they were waiting for the Canon and Nikon announcements.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 5:56 AM   #4

Hi Guys

OCD with PanaLeica on board 4/3rd, we'll see all three players pushing each other, and I think we'll see cameras from both OLy and Panaleica that will share features but then as you stated "leapfrog" the others. This can only be a good thing, and looking at the DMC L10 its clear that Panaleica have leapfrogged the E510 with this camera - spec's are supposed to include a larger OVF 100% or larger, 11 point AF system and from those pics a tilt swivel LCD and one that is articulated. The PanaLeica Pro will be an interseting cam esp as it will come some 12months after the E3+ as it will show which way 4/3rds is being taken.

What I really would like for Oly and PanaLeica to do is to say - standardise on having all new lenses with an aperture rings (aka the Leica D's) and then provide support for them across the entire system. I'd also like PanaLeica to lic Oly's sensor based IS system, so that all camera's whether they're using Zukio or Leica D glass have IS available to them. Finally for Oly to provide manual focus confirmation with any lens - Panalieca have managed to do this so there's no excuse not too.

Ted, I think Oly would be kind of shooting themselves in the foot if they push the E3 release back to 2008. There's no point in keeping silent about the E3's specs' now, a lot of the features of the E3 have already been introduced by the Canon/Nikon. If according to that leaked Oly pdf the E3 is competitive with and beats the D200 at some things than I think it will be good enough for many shooters. What they need to do is plan for an E3+ (sensor upgrade perhaps) for sometime in late 2008 early 2009. On top of this if they do delay until 2008, they'll then have to compete with not only Panaleica's Pro 4/3 DSLR but also with the new Sony DSLR's.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 10:56 PM   #5

hi folks
Panasonic L10 images found here

http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...l10_photos.php

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 2:12 PM   #6

When I come to Steve's forum, I find the Panasonic Leica DSLR page a ghost town.... yet all the good info guys are here as before.... news for the 4/3rds system can at least be had here.

I have a question for the 3 amigo's (above) ........ I just received the 25 mm f1.4 Summilux 2 weeks ago. See picture

As the 25mm is not stabilized will it make any sense to get an Oly body? Will there be any benefit using the in body stabilizer with the 25mm?.
Attached Images

tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2007, 2:45 PM   #7

si
it should be fine on an Olympus body

Riley
Old Sep 9, 2007, 3:47 PM   #8

Yes, I know Oly body will work, my question is which would you pick? The E3?

Are there any drawbacks or non-functional aspects like the A ring?

Thanks

Say , what time is it over there? Not 2Pm here... Sunday

Tom
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 7:51 AM   #9

cant think of any drawbacks
but for me i would always prefer a speed dial and aperture ring
as you are aware Oly wont offer that
OTOH Leica D lens dont do what I need (UWA), which cancels that as a ticket

the launch of L10 has been demure if not quiet
im hoping a decent review will appear sometime soon
but i really need to push on and update this year

if E3 doesnt impress, i think will go for 510
unless there is something compelling about L10

Im GMT +9.30 hrs, i think around 7 hrs from you

Riley
Old Sep 15, 2007, 5:38 AM   #10

tommccarty wrote:
Quote:
As the 25mm is not stabilized will it make any sense to get an Oly body? Will there be any benefit using the in body stabilizer with the 25mm?.
Hi, Tom

Everything I've read notes that IS is less effective on shorter focal lengths than longer ones (presumably because of the greater depth of field at shorter focal lengths). Are you sure you need IS for that 25mm lens? What I see in your cat photo is a short depth of field but not blurring due to bad focus.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote