Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:11 PM   #11

jorgen wrote:
Quote:
I am in east Spain, with hard contrasty light and a very blue sky. After some initial problems, I developed a style that takes advantage of this. I take only JPGs as this is faster and easier to process, takes up much less storage and I don't see any difference photos developed as RAW and as JPG in what I put on the web and in what I print. My settings are: sharpening, contrast and saturation = 0 and white balance AUTO in my e-300, e-500 and e-510.
Hi, Jorgen

Sounds like your outdoor lighting is a lot like mine was in the southwest US. So I'm surprised that you don't set the contrast lower in your cameras. I found that the wide luminance range of lighting you're describing, exceeds the camera's ability to capture with the default contrast setting. Have you tried setting the contrast lower than 0?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 7:34 AM   #12

Yes, I have tried with lower contrast. I suppose it all depends on what kind of stuff you take. I usually increase the contrast in PhotoShop afterwards, so I probably should increase the contrast rather than lower it.

If I were to take photos of architecture or people, I probably should, but I hardly ever do.

Jorgen
http://jorgen.photoblog.com/
jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 7:42 AM   #13

Ted, I (finally) found some photos on your site and, yes, the light looks very much like what we have here in Spain!

Jorgen

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 1:32 PM   #14

Just to say I am still trying to figure out E500 and kit lenses at my elderly years I have decided I can only make do with what I have.Not posting to take up anyones time just the thought.
jasm

http://www.pbase.com/jascm/start

Attached Images

jasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 2:09 PM   #15

Still trying admitting early panic calming down a bit.
james morgan
Attached Images

Old Sep 23, 2007, 2:31 PM   #16

Hi James

I missed the thread completely - been playing with self protraits today :? :O. Well looking at the last two shots you've posted they look good and the exposure pretty much nailed.

When I got my E1 I ended up reading the manual 2-3 times and I've never read a manual (a system admins habits are hard to break!) until I got the E1. I think with practice and checking the site that Mike linked too you'll work things out.

Feel free to post more shots if you have any problems with them and an explanation and EXIF and we'll see what we can do (although I need help 90% of the times myself!)

Cheers

HArjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 3:45 PM   #17

Thanks for your response I used to be a bit active on this site years ago with oly c4000 and I panicked then as well.I just dont have patience and do not have the expertise to judge merits of cameras,thats why I have flitted about looking for answers and now 71 I am not any wiser.thanks again.
james morgan
Old Sep 23, 2007, 5:25 PM   #18

Just a fiew images from today.
james morgan

http://www.photoblog.com/jascm/