Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 5, 2007, 12:32 PM   #1

My apologies.
jasm

jasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2007, 2:30 PM   #2

edited to removed advice

sort your own problem out !!!!was just trying to help

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 5:23 AM   #3

Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:25 AM   #4

The best settings for you is with any camera a matter of trial and error. This page tells you about each setting: http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/e500-sett.html

If you shoot raw, sharpening and saturation does not matter as it is not stored in the raw image.

Can you be more specific with regards to your problem? I am in no mood to search for problems in each of your photos. It is probably best to show a couple of photos here with a comment underneth each telling us what you don't like about the photo.

I don't understand your comment about exif and about lens focus.

Jorgen
http://jorgen.photoblog.com

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 2:35 PM   #5

My apologies for intruding in your forums it wont happen again.
jasm
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:10 PM   #6

jasm wrote:
Quote:
My apologies for intruding in your forums it wont happen again.
jasm
If you ask for help you have to provide information for people to help you, not just here's my pictures, where's my problem...don't expect people to do the work for you!

The Wrotniak link posted is very useful, and if it wasn't already posted I would have posted it myself, as well as saying that you should click on the "Other Articles" link there.

Also head to http://olympusdigitalschool.com/e-sy...ras/index.html for tips about setting up and using the camera.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 11:00 AM   #7

Apologies, jasm, if you feel I was trying to cut you off short.

I should probably have written this instead but expected some explanation of what kind of problems you had: The raw format is raw, meaning that white balance, sharpening, contrast and saturation setting are not applied and the settings of these are irrelevant. If you set your camera to store both raw and JPEG, they will be applied to the JPEG only.

The settings really depends on what kind of photos you take and which kind of light you find at your location. I am in east Spain, with hard contrasty light and a very blue sky. After some initial problems, I developed a style that takes advantage of this. I take only JPGs as this is faster and easier to process, takes up much less storage and I don't see any difference photos developed as RAW and as JPG in what I put on the web and in what I print. My settings are: sharpening, contrast and saturation = 0 and white balance AUTO in my e-300, e-500 and e-510. I usually give extra saturation and contrast in PhotoShop and prefer to do it there rather than in the camera. All this is up to personal preference and depending on which kind of subjects you go for.

When I get a new camera, I test sharpening on the persiennes in front of this window http://www.photoblog.com/jorgen/2007/05/31/. Easy to see what looks best.

Jorgen

Old Sep 7, 2007, 4:19 PM   #8

Um, I'm sorry I didn't respond to this yesterday.

From what I saw yesterday, though, Jasm had posted a link to a gallery of his photographs. On the wole, it was a very nice gallery, so I would say that this is obviously someone who knows something about taking pictures. Many of the earlier pictures were with a Canon A710, but there were also many with a Pentax K100D. The later photos were with an E-500 which was apparently recently puurcheased used.

Most of the E-500 shots were also very good. Some in bright sunlight had some blown highlights, and maybe could have used some more exposure compensation. Or maybe it would have helped to turn down the contrast a bit in those situations. Or maybe, like some have suggested on the E-510, it is helpful to go into the menu and change the default metering from ESP-AF to ESP?

On the whole there was little to complain about in those photos. Then,
in some of the later E-500 shots, it looked like everything was turned down, contrast -2, sharpness -2, saturation -2. These kind of settings are generally only used when you are doing post processing. They produce rather flat
jpegs out of camera. The reduced contrast may help with the blown highlight problem, but you would likely then want to then bring some of the contrast back up in postprocessing, such as using the curves tool in photoshop, or simply selectively increasing contrast.

Then, he described a problem with the lens not seeming to respond properly, and one or two photos near the end showed no exif data for focal length or aperture. It sounds to me as though there was a problem with the lens not communicating properly with the camera. The camera relies on the lens to electronically provide information about aperuture and focal length. The metering relies on this, and the the camera in turn relies on a motor in the lens to perform focusing. It sounds as though there was a problem with the lens or the connection, and the lens was behaving like a manual focus lens. I know that when using manual focus lenses you have to do stop down metering and the apperture and f-stop won't show in the exif. But this was supposedly the 17-45 kit.

You might want to remonve the lens, make sure the contacts are clean, and try putting it back on.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 5:55 PM   #9

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
Then, he described a problem with the lens not seeming to respond properly, and one or two photos near the end showed no exif data for focal length or aperture. It sounds to me as though there was a problem with the lens not communicating properly with the camera. The camera relies on the lens to electronically provide information about aperuture and focal length.

You might want to remonve the lens, make sure the contacts are clean, and try putting it back on.
If they had left that part of the message up, it would have caused a lot less hassle here!

Actually this problem is quite common for users of the camera...99.9% of the time it is NOT dirty contacts. What usually happens is the person holds down the lens release button while attaching the lens...with the lens release button held down you can turn the lens PAST the locking point and the lens won't work!!!

The lens locking pin HAS to be engaged in the hole for the lens to work because the lens locking pin is also an electrical contact. When you see the "-.-" where the aperture should be displayed, try just turning the entire lens slightly in either direction until you get the CLICK...after which the lens will work again.

Another issue is accidentally pressing the lens release button while using the camera...the lens release button will disengage the locking pin and the electrical contact will also be lost...at that point you'll see the "-.-" where the aperture should be.

You can test this for yourself by properly attaching the lens, turning on the camera, and pressing the lens release button...the "-.-" will appear.

This issue used to be one of the FAQ two years ago and the only response at that time was to clean the contact pins or try putting on the lens again, but then I discovered the lens locking pin issue, and that solved everyone's problems...it never was a dirty contacts issue!
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 1:33 AM   #10

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
Or maybe it would have helped to turn down the contrast a bit in those situations.
Wouldn't help as he was shooting raw.

Jorgen