Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:09 PM   #1

i'll tell you what, the 500 is really easy to get used to, but this E1 is a tough cookie, but i love it, i almost have to unlearn some stuff from the 500 to get the E1 to work. but it is an awesome camera! here is one from today
Attached Images

airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2007, 12:08 PM   #2

airbrushjohn wrote:
Quote:
i'll tell you what, the 500 is really easy to get used to, but this E1 is a tough cookie, but i love it, i almost have to unlearn some stuff from the 500 to get the E1 to work.
Sorry, but even though I've used all the Oly cameras I'm trying to understand this (but maybe since I always used manual cameras before digital I will never understand this)...the only issue I see is if you use the scene/auto modes on the E-500 (something I admit I've never done as I can't give up control of the settings).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 4:09 PM   #3

hi mike,

you are correct, since i learned on my 500, i did use all the different settings, and thanks to 2 excellent sports photographers here on this site they helped me understand alot in a small amount of time, the reasom i bought an E1 was to learn how to really learn to use a camera so i myself can get better, because as you know anyone can pick up an automated camera and get some really nice pictures, but i want to learn more and be a better photographer for me, i am not out to impress or out do anyone else, i just want to make me happy with my work, i have been an airbrush artist since 1985, i have learned quite a bit as i kept working, i am my own worst critic, that can be a good and bad thing, but i do appreciate everyone's help on this site! because just as in life, you can learn something from everyone!! sorry didn't mean to ramble!! hahahaha john
here is another pic
Attached Images

Old Sep 6, 2007, 7:41 PM   #4
Super Moderator

John looks like you have been having fun!!!

I've just checked out your art work as well.... nice

OK, I know you are probably not looking for critique however you know me, if I see something I'm going to give a little advice. In the first shot the shallow dof from wide aperture and max zoom on your lens are working well to isolate your subject the only thing I would do (apart from leaving a little more room at the top) would be to use some fill flash to give it that extra bitof pop. I can't remember do you have an external flash?

On the 2nd one, I would really get the shutter speed down to put some movement into the wheels and peddles as you've not framed so tightly so the background is a little more distracting.

Anyway both are nice shots.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 8:56 PM   #5

hi mark!

thank for the nice words about my artwork. i'm working on getting me a little strobe to do what you describe. and i am glad you give your critiques! i appreciate them! and yes i have been shooting alot, at work, and everywhere else. just like you have always said, the more shoot the more you will learn!!