Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 5, 2007, 11:21 PM   #1

I'm starting to research digital SLRs for my first purchase, and I wondered if anyone could help with the following question. I have an old Olympus OM-1 with several telephoto lenses and I wondered if they would fit the body of an Olympus digital SLR? I understand that current dSLR lenses from Olympus are designed for digital use, so this is probably a silly question, but if my older lenses were useable it might influence my decision. Thanks.
Cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2007, 12:02 PM   #2

Here's a page explaining all the facts about using manual focus lenses on fourthirds cameras, with links to specifics about using Olympus OM lenses:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/any-lens.html

While you're there also click on the "Other Articles" links for lots more tidbits for new (and experienced) fourthirds users!
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2007, 9:47 PM   #3

Thanks a lot. This will be very helpful.
Cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 3:40 AM   #4
OCD

There are any number of mounts available that will put not only Olympus 'legacy' lenses on an Oly DSLR, but also Pentax screw, Nikon, and Zeiss (Contax) on an Oly body as well.

Most are cheap and commonlybought from Chinavia Ebay, and which a lot of people find work brilliantly, maybe £15 each. There are the 'posh' versions that cost considerably more, maybe £90, and while better machined and finished don't necessarily offer better performance.

The main things to consider are, you will have to use manual focus, you will have to use manual metering not auto, you will have to stop down the lens before shooting, and you won't get a focus confirmation. All of these things will seem like a walk in the park if you have a long history of using film camers though. And additionally the legacy lenses will often (nearly always) give a lower contrast image, which is not a problem in post processing, but can sometimes make focusing difficult on some slow lenses.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2007, 9:46 AM   #5

Some cheaper ones though aren't manufactured properly...some people have reported a problem with the cheap ones for OM, they didn't have the protrusion to engage the aperture (there should be a finger that holds a lever on the lens mount to engage the aperture).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote