Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 16, 2007, 4:09 PM   #1

Hi all

I recently had a wee play with a 35-100F2 a few weeks ago and I was very impressed with the lens. It was smaller and lighter than I thought it would be and focuses even on my E1 pretty fast. My question is whether the 35-100F2 could have been made smaller than it is ? When you consider the size of the 14-54mm which is kind of dwarfed by the Super Pro lens, I would have thought the 35-100 would have been smaller even with an F2 aperture. I do realise that some of the size of the current lens is down to the internal zoom (which is really great) but I have a feeling that we may just see a newer and slightly smaller 35-100F2 SWD in the not soo distant future.

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :G

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2007, 4:37 PM   #2
OCD

I wouldn't be surprised if the size could come down.

On the other hand, if any other manufacturer outside the 4/3rds format was to design a lens of the same aperture I'm sure it would go vastly up in size, as is evident from the utter dearth of fast (or any)lenses that are capable of resolving the informationthe 22mp Canon (and eventually by default Nikon) sensors are able to produce, let alone 10mp bodies theymake that don't have lenses that give any reasonable edge sharpness for the sensor size.....

I tend to think that Olympus haven't even broken into a sweat yet over physical lens size.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:06 PM   #3

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I have a feeling that we may just see a newer and slightly smaller 35-100F2 SWD in the not soo distant future.
Hi, Harj

That would be great but I wonder if they sell would sell enough of them to make that worthwhile forthem.US$2200 is a lot of money for us prosumers but not unreasonable for a pro - are you thinking the E-3 will be attractive enough to a pro to make a redesign worthwhile? It's hard to imagine they're selling a lot of the existing lens...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:21 PM   #4

OCD wrote:
Quote:
On the other hand, if any other manufacturer outside the 4/3rds format was to design a lens of the same aperture I'm sure it would go vastly up in size
I sure thought that would be true. But oddly, in the October issue of PopPhoto in thereview ofthe PanaLeice 25mm f/1.4, they said "Four-thirds lenses require extra-large glass elements (relative to full-frame 35mm lenses) for the greater light gathering required to transmit rays perpendicularly to the sensor plane. Otherwise, unacceptable edge fall-off results."

My reaction to this statement was that they are completely out to lunch. Ifthey just meant relative to 35mm film lenses, theywould still be incorrect. As I understand it, correct would be that a 4/3 lens for a digital sensor needs more diameter than a 4/3 lens for a film frame of the same 4/3 size. Certainly, the fast telephotos my pro friends have for their full-frame Canon digicams are enormous compared to the Oly 35-100 f/2. Am I missing something here?

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2007, 10:10 AM   #5

Hi Ted

I think the main reason for a new version at some stage will be simply due to SWD/XSM/HSM motors. The 2 new mid-range lenses, the 12-60 and 50-200 both have SWD and the 50-200 looks like a completely new design. I had a look at the other new High/Top pro lens, the 14-35F2 details and that pro lens will also get SWD. Personally for the focal range, the 35-100 could be a wee bit smaller,and if it were, it would be an amazing bit of glass not that the current lens isn't. I doubt well see a replacement for some time, unless Oly decides that for the Pro market, they will demand an SWD version to go with the E3 and have one in the works ready for next year.

That quote from Popphoto - is just odd to me as well. For what it is, the 25mm f1.4 is just stellar.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote